What in your opinion does God expect of us?

It seems reasonable that humanity exist for a reason. {Isaiah 43: verses 7 & 21}

So what DOES God expect from us?

Does he have different expectations for Catholics?

For Christians?

For non-Christians?

He expects us all to be One Body and act like it. :smiley:

The cited verses do not address all mankind, but only Israel. :slight_smile:

So what DOES God expect from us?

Genesis 1:27-31a tells us why God created us and what he expects of us. Under him (which means trusting in him and loving him), we are to inhabit the world and be the caretakers of God’s creation. Even in our fallen state, we are still to do this. How we do what God created us to do (in our fallen state) God relayed to us in the Ten Commandments.

Does he have different expectations for Catholics?

Along with believing the Creeds, and of course living in Christ, we are to follow the precepts of the Church. If you mean: Do we have a greater obligation than our non-Catholic brethren? I think we do because “to whom much is given much is required.”

For Christians?

I assume you mean non-Catholic Christians, yes? CCC #817-819 may be helpful.

For non-Christians?

Non-Christians CCC #846-848.

To whom much is given, much is expected.

The more informed we are the more that is expected.

We are called to holiness at this very moment.

If you are a informed Catholic then even more is expected of you as you are not your own authority.

He has told you, O man, what is good,
And what the LORD requires of you:
Only to do justice
And to love goodness.
And to walk modestly with your God;
Then will your name achieve wisdom.
Micah 6:8

I think God expects us to do our very best to get everyone to the Party Upstairs!

And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me” (surah 51:56)

To live a lifestyle of worship. Everything we do is an offering to God; from the way we pray to the way we treat others. When you do something to please Allah, it is an act of worship.

I believe that He expects us to love Him with all our heart, mind, and being. To love our neighbors as ourselves. Follow the Ten Commandments. To help get each other to Heaven. Repent of your sins. Forgive others.

Non-Catholics I think He would expect the same thing.

Non-Christians, not sure. I would say the same thing since Jesus died for the sins of the world, not just a select few.

Can’t see how I can disagree. :slight_smile:

From the unregenerate, I suppose He expects nothing but rebellion and separation.
From the regenerate, I reckon He expects obedience to His Law and service to our neighbors, as well as worship and devotion to Him through the faith He so generously gives.

I think there is no distinction in His expectations of Catholics and other Christians.
The Lord knows who are His and that is all I am prepared to say about the condition of non- Christians.

:thumbsup:

Me neither…

Honestly, I wish I knew. I want to serve Him, want to carry out His will best as I understand it … but that’s setting the bar so horribly low. I wish I were sure, beyond most reasonable doubts, how to know what He expects or wants. There are a dozen different directions to strike out in … if only even one of them looked reliable.

What does God expect from us? Everything.

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8

He wants us to become jaded with the world and its attractions, jaded with sin, so that we will begin to desire and run to the ultimate Good alone, like Prodigals back to the Father, so that we may commune with Him again, as was always meant to be the case. Jesus revealed this Good as it had never been revealed before and brings us reconciliation with Himself. From there God can begin to do a work in us, of justification, fulfilling the New Covenant prophecy of Jer 31 by putting His law in our minds and writing it on our hearts, changing us, filling us with faith, hope, and love, which fulfills the law. This all begins with grace, followed by our response of faith, which is then to be formally and publicly professed in the sacrament of Baptism. The final purpose, the end goal for man, is to share in Gods sheer, unbridled happiness, as we share in and partake of His very nature.

Jaded? with the utter beauty of the world He has given to us? With the wondrous provisions for our life here? Oh no! Would that not be ungrateful? The beauty that feeds our souls in deepest joy…

The world that Jesus loved.

I think “the world” is meant as the fallen world that we live in. This valley of tears is our testing ground. We’re meant to live in this world, but not to be of this world.

Succinctly: don’t sin.

I don’t think fhansen is implying to not appreciate the natural beauty of Earth.

When Jesus called his apostles He said follow me. That is why Jesus established the hierarchical Catholic Church… so that we might all follow Him. That is what He meant when He said I will be with you always (The Eucharist). It is either pride or ignorance that prevents one from recognizing the One True Church that Jesus founded, the Catholic Church.

When protestants talk of a ‘personal relationship with Jesus’ what they are really seeking is their own personal Jesus. Any personal relationship with Jesus must include His Church and the Sacraments He instituted for us. Indeed, Jesus Christ and His Church, the Catholic Church, are One and the Same.

It is an absurd dichotomy to love Christ without the Church; to listen to Christ, but not the Church; to be with Christ at the margins of the Church. One cannot do this. It is an absurd dichotomy. - Pope Francis

Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God who became man, was put to death, rose from the dead to save us, and is now living in our midst. Where can we encounter him? We encounter him in the Church, in our hierarchical, Holy Mother Church. It is the Church which says today: “Behold the Lamb of God”; it is the Church, which proclaims him; it is in the Church that Jesus continues to accomplish his acts of grace which are the sacraments. - Pope Francis

Without the Church and her guidance, our relationship with Christ would be at the mercy of our imagination, our interpretations, our moods. - Pope Francis

About Jesus Christ and the Church, I simply know they’re just one thing, and we shouldn’t complicate the matter. - St. Joan of Arc

Love God, love our neighbor as ourselves. If we truly do that, everything else is covered.

Could God love each and every one of us as he loves himself?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.