What in your opinion does Mt. 16:19 Mean?

What does this mean to you? What does it mean to others?

Mt. 16:19 “And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.”

For any who may not be filmiliar with this: Is Jesus in person speaking to Peter and the Apostles.

Continued Blessings,

Pat/PJM

[quote="PJM, post:1, topic:309654"]

Mt. 16:19 "And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven."

For any who may not be filmiliar with this: Is Jesus in person speaking to Peter and the Apostles.

Continued Blessings,

Pat/PJM

[/quote]

Keys given to Peter and yet all have the power to bind and loose,unless I am incorrect?

It is the most empowering admonition in human record.

Building as he does on every other word/work/action/deed, effectively Christ after declaring Peter his "rock" upon which Christ will build his Church, is saying, "Peter, what I have given you is unchecked, and un-fettered, do what you will." With the knowledge or notion that whatever is done, is also done with universal effect. Peter is not just in the view of GOD, his intercession "moves" Heaven.

Nope, the pronoun is singular all the way through (thee/thou, corresponding singular in Greek). The entire statement as we have it was addressed to Peter.

[quote="DaveBj, post:4, topic:309654"]
Nope, the pronoun is singular all the way through (thee/thou, corresponding singular in Greek). The entire statement as we have it was addressed to Peter.

[/quote]

This clearly establishes Apostolic Succession. No more, no less. It also prooves that we are the one true church!

=Nicea325;10180369]Keys given to Peter and yet all have the power to bind and loose,unless I am incorrect?

No, I don't think so.:) Check out post #3.

God Bless and thans for your reply!

=George Stegmeir;10181028]This clearly establishes Apostolic Succession. No more, no less. It also prooves that we are the one true church!

Hi George;

Without disagreeing: HOW? And Why?:)

[quote="George_Stegmeir, post:5, topic:309654"]
This clearly establishes Apostolic Succession. No more, no less. It also prooves that we are the one true church!

[/quote]

Sorta does, doesn't it, especially when one considers that the authority to bind and loose had to have been passed on, or else it would have died with Peter, and what would have been the sense of having that kind of authority, if it was just going to cease in 20-30 years?

=Least;10180570]It is the most empowering admonition in human record.

Building as he does on every other word/work/action/deed, effectively Christ after declaring Peter his "rock" upon which Christ will build his Church, is saying, "Peter, what I have given you is unchecked, and un-fettered, do what you will." With the knowledge or notion that whatever is done, is also done with universal effect. Peter is not just in the view of GOD, his intercession "moves" Heaven.

WELCOME TO CAF FORUM MY FRIEND!

Awesome insight:thumbsup:

Thank you,

Pat

Jesus is leaving St. Peter in charge of the Kingdom, and giving him power and authority to “rule” in his absence. Jesus is stating He will respect, and support what ever Peter decides on matters. He sets Peter as leader of the Apostles. Later when Judas dies, the Apostles say they need to replace him, and his position. They give his office to another to carry on the ministry of the Apostles. They lay hands on him to bestow the office on the new Apostle. This is Apostolic succession. :thumbsup:

Jesus also gives them authority to forgive sins in His name, to Baptise, to cast out demons… Jesus sends the Holy Spirit to guide the Apostles. Jesus also promised protection of the Church!

Not only did Jesus come to open the gates of Heaven, but he came to give us the Catholic Church to help us get there! GOD IS GOOD!

Mt. 16:19 "And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven."

Continued Blessings,

Pat/PJM

[/quote]

As it was prophesied of Peter:

20 And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will call my servant Eliacim the son of Helcias, 21 And I will clothe him with thy robe, and will strengthen him with thy girdle, and will give thy (Christ's) power into his hand: and he shall be as a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Juda. 22 And I will lay the key of the house of David upon his shoulder: and he shall open, and none shall shut: and he shall shut, and none shall open. 23 And I will fasten him as a peg in a sure place, and he shall be for a throne of glory to the house of his father.

=Regina Love;10181273]Jesus is leaving St. Peter in charge of the Kingdom, and giving him power and authority to "rule" in his absence. Jesus is stating He will respect, and support what ever Peter decides on matters. He sets Peter as leader of the Apostles. Later when Judas dies, the Apostles say they need to replace him, and his position. They give his office to another to carry on the ministry of the Apostles. They lay hands on him to bestow the office on the new Apostle. This is Apostolic succession. :thumbsup:

Jesus also gives them authority to forgive sins in His name, to Baptise, to cast out demons... Jesus sends the Holy Spirit to guide the Apostles. Jesus also promised protection of the Church!

Not only did Jesus come to open the gates of Heaven, but he came to give us the Catholic Church to help us get there! GOD IS GOOD!

THANKS to ALL of my Catholic Friends; but I know our teaching and was hopeful of gaining some insight on this issue from our non-catholic friends who are also on our FORUM:)

[/quote]

I like John Gill's explanation:

The sense of the words is this, that Peter, and so the rest of the apostles, should be empowered with authority from him [Christ], and so directed by his Holy Spirit, that whatever they bound, that is, declared to be forbidden, and unlawful, should be so: and that whatever they loosed, that is, declared to be lawful, and free of use, should be so; and accordingly they bound some things which before were loosed, and loosed some things which before were bound; for instance, they bound, that is, prohibited, or declared unlawful, the use of circumcision . . . They bound, or forbid . . . the keeping holy days, new moons, and sabbaths, which had been used in the Jewish church for ages past . . .They loosed, or declared lawful and free, both civil and religious conversation between Jews and Gentiles; whereas, before, the Jews had no dealings with the Gentiles, nor would not enter into their houses . . . They also loosed, or pronounced lawful, the eating of any sort of food, without distinction, even that which was before counted common and unclean . . . And these things now being by them bound or loosed, pronounced unlawful or lawful, are confirmed as such by the authority of God, and are so to be considered by us. biblestudytools.com/commentaries/gills-exposition-of-the-bible/matthew-16-19.html

[quote="DaveBj, post:4, topic:309654"]

[/quote]

Then I was right in the past. Meaning I have always agreed with your statement. I cannot remember where I read the other Apostles also could bind and loose?

[quote="Nicea325, post:14, topic:309654"]
I cannot remember where I read the other Apostles also could bind and loose?

[/quote]

Neither can I, but I know I've read it too! You're not the only one. :)

[quote="Nicea325, post:14, topic:309654"]
Then I was right in the past. Meaning I have always agreed with your statement. I cannot remember where I read the other Apostles also could bind and loose?

[/quote]

That would be Matt. 18:18. Here, Jesus was talking to all the disciples.

Continued Blessings,

Pat/PJM

[/quote]

From the new Jerome biblical commentary
"Matthew relates church to kingdom: the church is an interim arrangement which mediates salvation in the time between the earthly ministry of Jesus and the future coming of the kingdom.
Shall be bound:
This and the parallel shall be loosed are theological passives; God shall bind and loose what Peter binds and looses. This verse gives enormous power to Peter. What is the nature of this authority? Binding and loosening are Rabbinic technical terms that can refer to binding the devil in exorcism, to the juridical acts of excommunication and of definitive decision making ( a form of teaching through legislation, policy setting). The authority to bind and loose is given to the disciples in 18:18, but to Peter alone are accorded the revelation, the role of the rock of foundation (Eph 2:20), and especially the keys.(Isa 22:22,23; Job 12:14; 1 Enoch 1-16)

For Gentile Christians Paul would have been the preferred candidate for leadership. Peter thus represents a compromise that can hold both tendencies in the early church in an uneasy synthesis. Matthew here shows his ecumenical good sense. There is also involved the historical reminiscence that Peter was the spokesman for the disciples during the ministry of Jesus. As a whole vv 17-19 represent a blend of OT poetic imagery and institutional legislation.

That he was the Christ: Matthew sums up the main revelation at the end to tie the whole together."

In Christ

=jrtrent;10183117]I like John Gill's explanation:

The sense of the words is this, that Peter, and so the rest of the apostles, should be empowered with authority from him [Christ], and so directed by his Holy Spirit, that whatever they bound, that is, declared to be forbidden, and unlawful, should be so: and that whatever they loosed, that is, declared to be lawful, and free of use, should be so; and accordingly they bound some things which before were loosed, and loosed some things which before were bound; for instance, they bound, that is, prohibited, or declared unlawful, the use of circumcision . . . They bound, or forbid . . . the keeping holy days, new moons, and sabbaths, which had been used in the Jewish church for ages past . . .They loosed, or declared lawful and free, both civil and religious conversation between Jews and Gentiles; whereas, before, the Jews had no dealings with the Gentiles, nor would not enter into their houses . . . They also loosed, or pronounced lawful, the eating of any sort of food, without distinction, even that which was before counted common and unclean . . . And these things now being by them bound or loosed, pronounced unlawful or lawful, are confirmed as such by the authority of God, and are so to be considered by us. biblestudytools.com/commentaries/gills-exposition-of-the-bible/matthew-16-19.html

Very good; I give you an "A" *

THANK YOU!*

=Nicea325;10183453]Then I was right in the past. Meaning I have always agreed with your statement. I cannot remember where I read the other Apostles also could bind and loose?

OTHER APOSTLES IN MT. 18:18

TtHE CATHOLIC CHURCH AND POPES IN SUCCESSION IN MATT.28; 16-20 :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.