What, in your opinion, is the #1 FUNNIEST movie of all time?

I have two:

Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb

and

What About Bob?

I also thought The Emperor’s New Groove was hilarious.

Weird taste, I know. :shrug:

mary

I think the funniest movies are Happy Gilmore with Adam Sandler and Ace Ventura: Pet Detective! They are pretty great and not too inappro.

Clerks:D

I just discovered that one of my all-time favorite comedies,
that I’m willing to bet that none of you have seen…
that happens to be extraordinarily pro-life,

is going to be on Turner Classic Movies this week.

The Miracle of Morgan’s Creek, which is almost unheard of today, was actually one of the biggest box office hits of 1944. Like today’s “Juno” and “Knocked Up”, it’s about a young, unmarried loose girl who gets pregnant, and decides to go full term. The comedy has a ton of great slapstick in it, and the final ten minutes is as tons-of-bellyaching-laughs-a-minute inspired as I have ever seen in a movie.

It stars Eddie Bracken (best known for playing “Wally, owner of Wallyworld” in “National Lampoon’s Vacation”) and Betty Hutton (who passed away last year… this was heralded as her best performance) with William Demerest (best known for “My Three Sons”) and Porter Hall (best known in the original “Miracle at 34th Street”).

It’s on at Sunday, Jan 13, at 2pm EST. DVR it, and watch it with your youth group, who fears black & white movies. This film will leave you in stitches, and provide phenomenal discussions afterwards.

Read more about it here… and AVOID SPOILERS!!!
imdb.com/title/tt0037077/

Airplane!

I second “This is Spinal Tap” (1982) and “Airplane!” (1980)

Anybody remember “Kentucky Fried Movie” from 1977, an earlier one by the same writers Zucker/Zucker/Abrahams of “Airplane!”, “Top Secret”, “Police Squad” and “Mafia!”. A bit raunchy in parts but original skits and very funny. Around the same time the first couple seasons of SNL were out on TV.

Mel Brooks is in the same style, but I think Zucker/Zucker/Abrahams outdo him in the number of jokes/gags per second. :smiley:

Phil P

Clean Movies:

Uncle Buck
What about Bob

Not so clean movies:

Stir Crazy
Wag the Dog

Yep. ‘A Fistful of Yen’ was great :slight_smile:

<< Yep. ‘A Fistful of Yen’ was great >>

Yeah and then I found “Enter the Dragon” and understood the humor. :smiley:

Phil P

Slap Shot and Strange Brew

:thumbsup:

Anybody else a fan of Madagascar?

I personally loved “My Fellow Americans”, although it does have it’s inappropriate moments. I loved the way it made fun of politics. A political “Grumpy Old Men” if you will.

You are going to laugh at me but I think Money Pit with Tom Hanks is so funny. I especially like the scene where he is stuck in the floor and has the laugh like a seal. I also like anything Ben Stiller is in and Big Fat Greek Wedding is funny (esp. if you have relatives that are greek).

I have to say now that I remembered this…

OFFICE SPACE

it’s a scream and reminds me of my job.

I second Spinal Tap and Holy Grail and raise them ‘Monty Python’s Life of Brian’ too … and yes, I loved ‘The Money Pit’ back in the day too. Haven’t seen it for a while though.

Okay, as a Catholic I feel really guilty about saying this,
but they were the funniest movies I’ve ever seen (not for kids).

1. La Cage aux Folles (original 70’s foreign with English subtitles) and
  2. La Cage aux Folles II The Sequel (1981, foreign, with
    English subtitles).

The American version, THE BIRDCAGE, does not even come anywhere close to the above foreign films. They were downright hysterically hilarious. My sister and I saw them together back in the early 80’s as a double feature, and we roared with laughter for nearly 4 hours. We nearly wet our pants laughing at the above films. What a riot.
Also loved AIRPLANE, AIRPLANE II The Sequel,
ALL of THE NAKED GUN series, but the first was the best.
Love ANYTHING by Monty Python EXCEPT Jabberwocky (ugh).

Jaypeeto4
+JMJ+

:eek: DO NOT WATCH BORAT!

I don’t know whether to say it’s the funniest or the worst or the most gross movie I’ve ever seen.

I think I should be embarrassed :o for watching it with my wife:eek: . Had to fast forward and died laughing at the same time for the very over the top scenes. Kept our eyes closed through the worst parts…don’t know how we made it through them movie. We were shocked that everything looked like they pulled it off without anyone knowing it was a joke. I heard it was funny at work a while back and sense we got expanded cable with DVR so we can record Fr. Mitch on EWTN… but I haven’t laughed like that in a very long. Got to forget what i saw…nightmares. :eek: I’m so confused:confused: . no really it’s really way way over the top and thankfully I had enough wisdom to make sure my kids were in bed asleep. We didn’t expect some of what we saw.

Monty Python’s the Holy Grail, and Mel Brooks’ Blazing Saddles. Both of these men were genius’s. (Maybe still are-I know Brooks is still alive)

I distinctly remember back in the day many Catholic bishops, priests and Catholic media calling “Life of Brian” as anti-Catholic and even blasphemous. Our priest even talked about it in a homily and requested that we not see it. I think “Holy Grail” got the same response.

Were they wrong, or have we become so jaded? :confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.