What is a good apologetics book?

I want to be prepared to defend the faith when I go off to college and be able to evangelize to others. I’m looking into “Memorize the Reasons” by Kevin Vost. What do you all think is a good book for apologetics and evangelization?

I would recommend this one
Essential catholic Survival Guide, by Catholic Answers.

This is something you can keep as a good reference the rest of your life.
I’ve already given mine away and expect to get more.

I like Peter Kreeft and Ronald Tacelli’s Handbook of Catholic Apologetics. They also have another book Handbook of Christian Apologetics. Both books are identical except for the Catholic one has an additional chapter at the end that deals with specifically Catholic issues.

Another good one for those going off to college is Disorientation: How to Go to College Without Losing Your Mind.

There are a lot of books that I could recommend, however as I am half-way through Frank Sheed’s “Theology and Sanity”, that is the first that comes to mind. On the other hand, it is rather heavy going, so if you aren’t an intellectual sort of person I’d recommend “Theology for Beginners”, by the same author. There are a lot of books of that sort out there though, so I suggest you just browse through them to see which ones you enjoy more.

God bless,

Nozzer

:signofcross:

If you can listen to CD’s , there are several by John Martignoni and they are free.

Go to www.biblechristiansociety.com

They are apologetics CD’s on a wide variety of topics.

The only problem I have with Kreeft’s book is that it “kind of” presupposes that one believes in God already. It doesn’t say much about how to answer an atheist. However, it is a very good book, and it teaches much about the Catholic faith. It is the first book on apologetics that I read, and I learned a lot from it.

are you attending a Catholic university? if not I hope there is a Newman center on your campus. we have a really good Newman center on the campus at our university in our town.
the priest is excellent with the college kids who are away from home.
it will help you remain strong in your faith!

I have to correct myself. I looked through the Kreeft book again, and it tries to answer atheistic objections, but I’ve found atheists to be very stubborn and hard-headed people. No argument, however sound, seems to convince them.

I would definitely recommend the Kreeft book. It was written with a Jesuit priest and is very comprehensive. It’s difficult enough without being too difficult.

I also like Mere Apologetics. It’s not a manual for apologists like the Kreeft book, but it’s wonderful to read.

RECOMMENDED READING LIST

Conversion Stories

Rome Sweet Home by Scott Hahn
Lead Kindly Light by Thomas Howard
**Surprised by Truth **by Patrick Madrid (contains 11 shorter conversion stories)
Crossing the Tiber by Stephen Ray

Beginning Apologetics
The One-Minute Apologist by Dave ArmstrongCatholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating (founder of Catholic Answers)
Catholicism for Dummies by Fr. John Trigilio and Fr. Brent Brighenti (silly title, excellent book)
Intermediate Apologetics

A Biblical Defense of Catholicism by Dave Armstrong
The Catholic Verses by Dave Armstrong
Answering Atheism by Trent Horn
The Biblical Basis for the Catholic Faith by John Salza
The Biblical Basis for the Papacy by John Salza
The Biblical Basis for Purgatory by John Salza
The Biblical Basis for the Eucharist by John Salza
Upon This Rock by Stephen K. Ray

The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus by Gary Habermas and Michael Licona
Cold-Case Christianity by J. Warner Wallace

Advanced Apologetics

Not by Faith Alone by Robert Sungenis
Not by Scripture Alone by Robert Sungenis
Not by Bread Alone by Robert Sungenis

History

**How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization** by Thomas E. Woods, Jr.

Theology

Theology for Beginners by Frank Sheed

Reference Books

The Holy Bible (Revised Standard Version – Catholic Edition)
Catechism of the Catholic Church (the print edition has a scripture index which is very useful)

:thumbsup: very nice!

I like Catholic and Christian by Alan Schreck.

His talks are very militant and polemic.

-Tim-

That’s why I like the Schreck book. I searched for a while to find something that just states the case for Catholic beliefs without being argumentative.

I’m going to Marion Military Institute. No Newman Center. Really small junior military college in Alabama. When I visited, a woman there said that the athletic director takes the Cadets who are Catholic to mass on Sundays.

Thank you very much!:thumbsup:

there you go! it will be good to know you have other Catholics to associate with at the military institute. lots of good recommended reading as well!!! best of luck to you with your goals! :slight_smile:

I’m partial to David Currie’s “Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic.” It’s explanatory without being aggressive.

You have to read G. K. Chesterton: gkc.org.uk/gkc/books/#BOOKS. Especially “Orthodoxy”, “The Everlasting Man”, and “The Catholic Church and Conversion.”

I am a Catholic of 7 years this July and I have yet to read anything by G. K. Chesterton. Thanks for the reconmendations. I understand he is awesome.

Yes, Chesterton is awesome, although he’s not always easy to read. He comes at issues somewhat inside out and backwards–to give them a fresh perspective. And he loves to use paradox–because life is a paradox. So be prepared to concentrate and to reread passages. He’s brilliant, but he can be hard to follow at times. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.