What is a good framework to help fellow Catholics understand we should not call God "Mother"?

Dear Apologist,

In a recent session at our parish on the topic of prayer, one seemingly learned person said we can talk to God as "Mother". That raised a red flag for me and as there were at least two recent converts I decided to speak up and said we should avoid teaching error as God has revealed Himself as "Father" and that is how we should address Him. Of course I was immediately countered that no where in the Bible does it say we should not address God as "Morher". In my mind I thought "What an absurd argument", but what I said was God has revealed himself as "Father". It was not the place to get into a theological argument. This I simply said I will get him an answer for my claim.

What do you think about the folllowing framework for a response? Any additional considerations or changes?

1. What is God?
  2. What is the nature of God as masculine and feminine traits?
  3. How has God chosen to reveal himself to us?
  4. How are we instructed to relate to God in scripture, tradition, and magisterial teaching?
  5. What modern thinking suggests we address God as "Mother"?
  6. What are the errors in addressing God as "Mother"?
  7. How can we help fellow Catholics who have difficulty addressing God as Father?

Best Regards,

David
(Radio club supporter)

This link should be give you the answer you need. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this link, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*]Does God have gender?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.