What is a "Liturgical Consultant"?

Can anyone tell me what this titlw is or means?

I've never heard the word before, perhaps it's the same thing as a liturgist?
I would hope it's not someone who is out to "improvise" the Mass and introduce abuses, as so often happens. Maybe it's hired on by the diocese/parish to help schedule certain events?

Google is our friend:
It appears that it’s about structure, building etc. This is just one of the site for Liturgical Consulting.

Liturgical Consulting

As liturgical consultants, Conrad Schmitt Studios is uniquely qualified to interpret the new or changing needs of your parish. In the case of an older structure, the Studio can balance contemporary necessities with the building’s historical significance.

Conrad Schmitt Studios will help you define your needs, develop goals and evaluate options. The Studio will share its expertise in fundraising and guide your committee through the creative process.

The Studio is cognizant of the most recent dictates set forth by the Second Vatican Council - including an understanding of both the physical environment and spiritual interpretation.

By providing a variety of solutions, resources and media, Conrad Schmitt Studios offers a wide range of ideas and options.

Whether it is the design and fabrication of a single stained glass window or the reconfiguration of a monumental cathedral, Conrad Schmitt Studios’ artists and craftspeople bring unequaled skill to each project.

taken from conradschmitt.com

[quote="CatholicMedic, post:1, topic:302632"]
What is a "Liturgical Consultant"?

[/quote]

About $150 an hour.

Thank you! I'll be here all week!

[quote="gh4, post:3, topic:302632"]
Google is our friend:

It appears that it's about structure, building etc. This is just one of the site for Liturgical Consulting.

Liturgical Consulting

As liturgical consultants, Conrad Schmitt Studios is uniquely qualified to interpret the new or changing needs of your parish. In the case of an older structure, the Studio can balance contemporary necessities with the building's historical significance.

Conrad Schmitt Studios will help you define your needs, develop goals and evaluate options. The Studio will share its expertise in fundraising and guide your committee through the creative process.

The Studio is cognizant of the most recent dictates set forth by the Second Vatican Council - including an understanding of both the physical environment and spiritual interpretation.

By providing a variety of solutions, resources and media, Conrad Schmitt Studios offers a wide range of ideas and options.

Whether it is the design and fabrication of a single stained glass window or the reconfiguration of a monumental cathedral, Conrad Schmitt Studios' artists and craftspeople bring unequaled skill to each project.

taken from conradschmitt.com

[/quote]

In other words, people who take a beautiful old church and wreckovate it to look like any evangelical church based on the non-existant* "recent dictates set forth by the Second Vatican Council"* -- you know, those 'dictates' calling for removal of altar rails and statues that you'll never find in any Vatican II document.

The projects that I've looked at for this particular company involve mostly restoration of artwork or cleaning but other 'liturgical consultants' are more nefarious.
catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=3632

Pretty much any nominal Catholic with an opinion, though being formally Roman Catholic isn’t actually a requisite. Oh, and the really serious ones carry business cards and brief cases and powerpoint projectors.

[quote="Phemie, post:5, topic:302632"]
In other words, people who take a beautiful old church and wreckovate it to look like any evangelical church based on the non-existant* "recent dictates set forth by the Second Vatican Council"* -- you know, those 'dictates' calling for removal of altar rails and statues that you'll never find in any Vatican II document.

The projects that I've looked at for this particular company involve mostly restoration of artwork or cleaning but other 'liturgical consultants' are more nefarious.
catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=3632

[/quote]

There were pages of these folks, so I just picked the first one, seems that they all do something similar, guess some go further than others. :)

An occupant of the portion of hell below that reserved for lawyers, but above that reserved for post-modernists.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I cannot answer your question. The forum's rules and my observance of good manners prevents me. No doubt my thoughts alone ought to be confessed.:D

[quote="CharlesinCenCA, post:6, topic:302632"]
Pretty much any nominal Catholic with an opinion, though being formally Roman Catholic isn't actually a requisite. Oh, and the really serious ones carry business cards and brief cases and powerpoint projectors.

[/quote]

Ooooo. You know it's evil if they have powerpoint. :D

(I really hate sitting through those awful meetings where someone reads their powerpoint slides at you. You could send me a 2-page doc with all the info, or you could waste a week of your time setting up weird transitions and an hour of my time reading them to me. Bleah.)

As to the OP's question, I hadn't heard of them before either. At first, I thought it might be some high-falutin' term for members of a liturgy committee. But it appears that it really is someone who consults about the "liturgical space" AKA the church building. Personally, I would probably have called them either architects or interior designers or something, but I can see that they would be a necessary part of any major construction project. There are undoubtedly some out there who have a sense of the sacred, an understanding of beauty, and provide a real service to the Church. (Then, there are most definitely the other sort as well.)

You can see a description of this in a USCCB doc, "Built of Living Stones" from 2000.

old.usccb.org/liturgy/livingstonesind.shtml -- this is the whole doc
old.usccb.org/liturgy/livingstones.shtml#chapterfourg -- this is the closest link to the place (#199 and 200) where it talks about liturgical consultants.

--Jen

[quote="revert_jen, post:10, topic:302632"]
Ooooo. You know it's evil if they have powerpoint. :D

(I really hate sitting through those awful meetings where someone reads their powerpoint slides at you. You could send me a 2-page doc with all the info, or you could waste a week of your time setting up weird transitions and an hour of my time reading them to me. Bleah.)

As to the OP's question, I hadn't heard of them before either. At first, I thought it might be some high-falutin' term for members of a liturgy committee. But it appears that it really is someone who consults about the "liturgical space" AKA the church building. Personally, I would probably have called them either architects or interior designers or something, but I can see that they would be a necessary part of any major construction project. There are undoubtedly some out there who have a sense of the sacred, an understanding of beauty, and provide a real service to the Church. (Then, there are most definitely the other sort as well.)

You can see a description of this in a USCCB doc, "Built of Living Stones" from 2000.

old.usccb.org/liturgy/livingstonesind.shtml -- this is the whole doc
old.usccb.org/liturgy/livingstones.shtml#chapterfourg -- this is the closest link to the place (#199 and 200) where it talks about liturgical consultants.

--Jen

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with PowerPoint per se; just the way some abuse it. I, too, have been to those boring presentations where someone reads off a PowerPoint, and, not always their own!:shrug:

Are they anywhere near those who consign portions of hell to others?

I always did want to spend hellish eternity with Dante Alighieri :wink:

Thank you everyone for you information.

I asked this because I attended a convocation at my parish last weekend held in honor of the "Year of Faith". There were short presentations and workshops on different subjects. All of the one I attended were pretty good except one.

One was a presentation abut the Vatican II document: Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy-Sacrosanctum Concilium.

Frankly, I wanted to stand up and scream "you are teaching heresy!" and leave. *.

I looked on the syllabus to see what her title/qualifications were and it listed her as a "Liturgical Consultant".*

If it is someone who consults on the liturgical space in a church that seems to coincide with the first red flag I had about her when she referred to "the silly arguments that. One up about where to put the tabernacle."

closed #17

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.