What is a Mass of Reconcillation?

On the subject of confession, I’d like to ask what is a Mass of Reconciliation? A parish close by advertised such a Mass recently and I went along thinking that Confession would be available before, during (with a priest not involved in the Mass) and after Mass. I was mistaken and a little confused.

After the Introductory Rites and a brief explanation of the purpose of the Mass, the Penitential Act was said but this was by way of a local formula. The readings, psalm and Gospel were proper but then the homily was replaced by an invitation by the priest for penitents to come forward in a queue like formation to whisper their sin to him at the foot of the altar before receiving absolution and returning to their seat.

After this, all were invited to recite the ‘Our Father’, which I took to be the penance.

I always thought that two sacraments could not be celebrated together in this style and also this surely isn’t a proper confession in any event is it?

What are your thoughts?

[quote="Cor_Jesus, post:1, topic:320596"]
On the subject of confession, I’d like to ask what is a Mass of Reconciliation? A parish close by advertised such a Mass recently and I went along thinking that Confession would be available before, during (with a priest not involved in the Mass) and after Mass. I was mistaken and a little confused.

After the Introductory Rites and a brief explanation of the purpose of the Mass, the Penitential Act was said but this was by way of a local formula. The readings, psalm and Gospel were proper but then the homily was replaced by an invitation by the priest for penitents to come forward in a queue like formation to whisper their sin to him at the foot of the altar before receiving absolution and returning to their seat.

After this, all were invited to recite the ‘Our Father’, which I took to be the penance.

I always thought that two sacraments could not be celebrated together in this style and also this surely isn’t a proper confession in any event is it?

What are your thoughts?

[/quote]

Did it end here, or did the Liturgy of the Eucharist follow?

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20040423_redemptionis-sacramentum_en.html

[76.] Furthermore, according to a most ancient tradition of the Roman Church, it is not permissible to unite the Sacrament of Penance to the Mass in such a way that they become a single liturgical celebration. This does not exclude, however, that Priests other than those celebrating or concelebrating the Mass might hear the confessions of the faithful who so desire, even in the same place where Mass is being celebrated, in order to meet the needs of those faithful.[158] This should nevertheless be done in an appropriate manner.

It sounds like what you participated in was a communal Reconciliation service, not a Mass.

Such a service usually consists of the Liturgy of the Word, an examination of conscience, and time for individual confession to a priest. Typically a parish will have multiple priests available so that everyone can be accommodated.

[quote="JM3, post:2, topic:320596"]
Did it end here, or did the Liturgy of the Eucharist follow?

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20040423_redemptionis-sacramentum_en.html

[/quote]

Hello - yes silly me to omit that - yes the Eucharist did follow.

[quote="Cor_Jesus, post:4, topic:320596"]
Hello - yes silly me to omit that - yes the Eucharist did follow.

[/quote]

I believe that the Mass and the confession is valid, but the Mass would be illicit. I'm no authority, but this is how I understand it.

:mad: :banghead:

My thoughts exactly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.