What is a Mormon?

What is a Mormon? What do they believe? What does it stem from?

If you are wanting a comprehensive look at to what Mormons (Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) believe, I would recommend that you read it from their own website.

:thumbsup:

You will get it from them themselves.

A member of the Church of Latter Day Saints. They believe in the teachings of Joseph Smith and Bringham Young, I believe.

A Mormon is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, (Mormon be sort of a nickname). I’m not well versed in their beliefs, but included in them are: if two Mormons were married in the “temple,” and are serve the Lord well, they become gods of their own earth, and their children become like the Jesus of that earth (?). That Jesus is “soul brother” to Satan (their believing all souls are kind of birthed of God (not sure on this, something like it)). That the somehow a group of Israelites colonised part of the Western United States (near Salt Lake City etc.)

As stated above, their official title is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, but the term “Mormon,” stems from the title of the Book of Mormon, included in their Canon along with the Pearl of Great Price.

If you’re really interested it could be… pleasant to read up on their beliefs and history.

The “their children become like Jesus of that earth” is not a belief held by Mormons.

(Former Mormon here)

Mormon.org is also a great place to learn more.

I would agree, read it from the Church’s website, lds.org

lds.org is designed mainly for church members (however there is a lot on there that can help you understand them) and mormon.org is designed for non members, it contains more basic info that can get you jumpstarted in your study.

Good luck in studying and come here with questions. There are a lot of things to the history and doctrine that bears further clarification in order to understand it in context. :smiley:

It seems like a cult to me. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong The mainstream LDS church is not. It’s just a church with a non-traditional belief system

There are break-off groups that are.

yes, I just read this. They live in Stoney Creek, Utah and Colorado area. They are not supported by the LDS.

See, this is misleading b/c all the media info we get is not about the LDS; it’s about the cults that broke off from LDS. This is a shame.

I always thought that mormons were polygamists.

That is one of the biggest misconception about Mormons. That they still practice polygamy.

Infact, in order for Utah to be accepted as a state by the USA back in the late 19th century, they had to give up the practice. And they did so.

The main LDS church has not practice polygamy for well over a century now.

Serap, you will find people who call the Mormon church a cult, but you will also find people who call the Catholic Church a cult. The term “cult” is a term used to degrade other groups and really does not have a very accurate definition.

It is best to learn from them on their own site; however, a summary of their beliefs can be found in the Apostle’s creed:

1. I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
  2. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.
  3. He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary.
  4. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
  5. He descended to the dead. On the third day he rose again.
  6. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
  7. He will come again to judge the living and the dead.
  8. I believe in the Holy Spirit,
  9. (they do not believe in a universal Catholic Church)
  10. the forgiveness of sins,
  11. the resurrection of the body,
  12. and life everlasting.
    Amen.

Another summary of their beliefs are their 13 Articles of Faith:

1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisaical glory.

11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

These articles written by Joseph Smith as an explanation of their beliefs. It does say much about becoming a god a having their own earth…basically because that it not their belief. They do believe we may become joint-heirs with Jesus and inheriting all that Jesus inherits.

If you would like to criticize them, you will find ample ammunition by reading anti-Mormon websites. However, as for me, I don’t find that uplifting and tend to ignore them. You must choose what is best for you.

Thanks. That was helpful. I cannot criticize b/c afterall, I am not God.

I am just curious as to what being “Mormon” really means.

I always thought that Calvin led way to LDS. Then what did Calvin do?

Calvin had nothing to do with the founding of Mormonism. It was founded in upper state NY by Joseph Smith Jr. in 1830.

Mormonism in many ways has it’s own unique belief system that in many ways is in direct conflict with traditional Christianity.

When you ask what does being Mormon really mean, can you explain what you are asking. I was a devout Mormon, lived in UT for many years. Perhaps I can answer your specific questions.

Calvin had nothing to do with the founding of Mormonism.

There are some Calvinistic characteristics about Mormonism. This comes from the fact that it borrowed from many different religious traditions. It may be very different, but it is really not all that original.

Although I disagree with the author on some points, this might help you

amazon.com/Joseph-Smith-Making-Prophet-Biography/dp/1560851791/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_2

Do mormons believe in not using electricity, dressing like the 1800’s and using horse drawn carriage? Or is this the break off groups?

I still don’t really understand how they live.

Is Mennonite the same as Mormon?

You may be thinking of John Smythe (Smith) a Calvinist and leader of Jamestown VA during the colonial period of the US…Puritans had some distinctly Calvinist beliefs…Some of the Baptist traditions go through the Puritans.

Jerusha,

OT here for a bit but your signature caught my eye. Can you expound upon that? It’s been 2 decades since I have been out of Mormonism so maybe things have changed in that time, but that was not my experience or observation with my fellow Mormons, that they were confused or frustrated.

What I experienced was just the opposite. So I am curious as to where your comment finds it’s germination? :slight_smile: Thanks . :thumbsup:

No. They are not the same.

To give you an example, some famous Mormons are politicians Mitt Romney, Sen leader Harry Reid, the Osmonds, Glenn Beck.

I think you are confusing Mormons with another religious group. Mennonite and Amish are not Mormons.

Is Mennonite the same as Mormon?

Because of the romance and mystery of the Mennonite/Amish lifestyle, Mormons would like you to think that they are like them. However, the Mennonites/Amish believe in religious freedom, and the right to insulate themselves from aspects of modern society that they do not buy into. Most Mormons believe in pushing their lifestyle and beliefs on anyone willing to listen, and are intolerant of those who are not interested.

Mennonite/Amish are very family-oriented, are morally upright, and believe in living close to the land. In those ways, only, are they like some LDS.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.