What is a mystical marriage to Christ?

I have read briefly about certain saints becoming mystically married to Christ, for example St Catherine of Sienna. I have always thought she was a nun, but read also she belonged to a third order or secular order. But I have always seen pictures of her dressed as a nun. Anyway, what is a mystical marriage to Christ and does that always entail becoming a religious? Are all priests and nuns mystically married to Christ?

[quote="Lainey63, post:1, topic:183401"]
I have read briefly about certain saints becoming mystically married to Christ, for example St Catherine of Sienna. I have always thought she was a nun, but read also she belonged to a third order or secular order. But I have always seen pictures of her dressed as a nun. Anyway, what is a mystical marriage to Christ and does that always entail becoming a religious? Are all priests and nuns mystically married to Christ?

[/quote]

Lainey, mystical marriage, in its specific use, is employed to indicate the highest state of union with God this side of the Beatific Vision. The graces for this state are available for all, both men and women, but not many reach this stage of the interior life. This article explains it more fully:

newadvent.org/cathen/09703a.htm

P.S. it was common in earlier ages for members of a Third or Secular Order to wear the habit of their parent Order, although sometimes a modified one.

Hi Lainey,

Just piggybacking on what Frances said, a little while back the host of the EWTN show "The Fulfillment of All Desire" described the seven Teresian Mansions, the highest of which is the mystical marriage (sometimes called the "transforming union"). Here is a blog posting that summarizes what he said on that show:

The Teresian Mansions

Thanks. I didn't even think to look at the Catholic Enclyopedia also that blog from EWTN made it quite understandable to me. I've tried reading that particular book Interior Castles but I just found some of it difficult to understand.

Fr. Dubay’s book “Fire Within” is a pretty accessible introduction to this. It is well worth buying. Personally, it really helped me to go and read St. John of the Cross on my own. I can’t imagine anyone regretting getting the book.

By the way, St. Catherine of Siena was a Dominican tertiary.

God bless,
Rob

[quote="RobNY, post:5, topic:183401"]
Fr. Dubay's book "Fire Within" is a pretty accessible introduction to this. It is well worth buying. Personally, it really helped me to go and read St. John of the Cross on my own. I can't imagine anyone regretting getting the book.

[/quote]

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.