What is a "Primitive Baptist"

Saw this on a church sign.
I’ve heard of “First” Baptist and “Southern” Baptist but never “Primitive” Baptist

:shrug:

Peace
James

Baptists from the Pleistocene era who held that full immersion in tar pits was only proper for adult cavemen.

Well, sort of. Baptists with 'tude, you might say.

wiki isn’t informative. Here’s some info:

christianity.about.com/od/Primitive-Baptist/a/Primitive-Baptist-Beliefs.htm

Now, on Two-Seed-In-The-Spirit Predestinarian Baptists, wiki is helpful.

GKC

I googled Primitive Baptist and found plenty, but I must leave it to those who are more interested to do the analysis.

About.Com really isn’t too bad, I’ll have to look up and see what they say about other faiths.

How about Primitive Baptists:

Use the 1611 King James Version Bible.

christianity.about.com/od/Primitive-Baptist/a/Primitive-Baptist-Beliefs.htm

No images of Christ are permissible<---- think, a very strict interpretation of scripture. Looks like some conventional teachings and some non-conventional teachings.

It says preaching lasts 45-60 minutes…now how do they KNOW early church had sermons that long?? Really?

From Scripture. Paul was known to preach far into the night, and in one case a boy named Eutychus, who was sitting on a windowsill, fell asleep and fell out of the window and Paul had to raise him from the dead (Acts 20:9). After which, I presume, he resumed his preaching. One translation says his preaching was of “unusual length”.

“First Baptist” simply means that a particular church was the “first” Baptist church established in an area. The next oldest Baptist church then is entitled to use the name “Second Baptist” if it so wishes. “Southern Baptist” refers to a convention of Baptist churches particularly prominent in the US South.

As for Primitive Baptists, they are very rigid Baptists reacting to what they perceive to be the mass departure from Baptist distinctives from such groups as the Southern Baptists and other mainstream Baptists.

They are called Primitive because of their rejection of organized, centralized denominationalized missionary efforts. In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, many Baptist churches began to cooperate together for missionary work and building institutions like seminaries. Groups like the American Baptist Churches USA and the Southern Baptist Convention are the results of such efforts. These Baptists were called “missionary Baptists” because they supported organized missionary efforts among Baptist churches.

The Primitive Baptists were the anti-missionary Baptists because they opposed centralized missionary agencies because they felt that these would try to control the local Baptist congregations, which was contrary to their beliefs about the autonomy of the local church.

Thanks everyone for the information and links.
It is truly appreciated.

Peace
James

That’s why nearly the only fossil evidence we’ve got for early Christianity is primitive adult Baptists.

The only time Catholics got caught was when volcanos blew up unexpectedly eg. Pompeii.

:smiley:

Primitive Baptists are full on TULIP Calvinists. They believe in double predestination, that God chose who will be saved and who will be damned. They do not have Sunday school or anything other than preaching services. Like churches of Christ they sing without instruments, strictly a cappella.

These Baptists are more popular in the SW and deep South. I live in a small TX town of 9,000 and they have a big church here.

http://mycrazydream.net/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/aquatic-ape-theory.jpg

Just teasing :smiley:

I attended one of these once, very fundamentalist and anti-Catholic, like the original Ana-Baptists. were.

Oh that is a short one!

7 On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the morrow; and he prolonged his speech until midnight. 8 There were many lights in the upper chamber where we were gathered. 9 And a young man named Eutychus was sitting in the window. He sank into a deep sleep as Paul talked still longer; and being overcome by sleep, he fell down from the third story and was taken up dead. (Ac 20:7–10).

It should be noted that Baptists have a distinct origin from the Anabaptists.

Most of my elderly relatives were Primitive Baptist when I was a child. I attended funerals, weddings, and a service or two.

The rules against any musical instruments seemed odd to me then, having grown up in a church that had piano and organ music for most services. I only noticed the predestination preaching when I was older. Most other beliefs seemed to be similar to the independent KJV-only Baptist church I knew.

The other thing that I noticed in my area was that each church only had one service per month. The pastors and many of the congregation members went on a circuit on Sundays. One church was always the first Sunday of the month, another was the second Sunday, and so on through the month. I do not know, but I would guess there was no service on a fifth Sunday.

great explanation :slight_smile:

Acapella is BEAUTIFUL! :thumbsup:
Gregorian chants are just one of the catholic church’s acapella treaures :slight_smile:

That would be wonderful ifthey used Gregorian chant!

But what they really use is the FA SOL LA singing of nineteenth century deep South. A whole different ball of wax entirely.

I see you are new. Welcome aboard!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.