What is a "sacred rite"?

Hi,

I asked a similar question before, but it’s really unclear for me and I finally figured out a way to put it more simply… I read this article about praying with non Catholics, and the author (a Catholic priest) explains the traditional teaching and says that active worship with non Catholics / sharing in their “sacred rites” is forbidden. christendom-awake.org/pages/thomas-crean/praying-with-non-catholics.htm

My question simply is: what is a “sacred rite”?

Sunday service in a Protestant church would be a “sacred rite”.

But what about an “ecumenical” worship event, if it’s organized by Catholics but Protestants will be there as well?

What about private devotions? non Catholic apparitions? or is this article only regarding public worship? what type of public worship?

I’ve been trying to figure this out for a long time; ie: what constitutes “communicatio in sacris” and what doesn’t… and I really can’t seem to find a concrete answer.

would really appreciate any help :slight_smile: just…what is a sacred rite? thanks!!

=Monica4316;8276446]Hi,

I asked a similar question before, but it’s really unclear for me and I finally figured out a way to put it more simply… I read this article about praying with non Catholics, and the author (a Catholic priest) explains the traditional teaching and says that active worship with non Catholics / sharing in their “sacred rites” is forbidden. christendom-awake.org/pages/thomas-crean/praying-with-non-catholics.htm

My question simply is: what is a “sacred rite”?

Sunday service in a Protestant church would be a “sacred rite”.

But what about an “ecumenical” worship event, if it’s organized by Catholics but Protestants will be there as well?

What about private devotions? non Catholic apparitions? or is this article only regarding public worship? what type of public worship?

I’ve been trying to figure this out for a long time; ie: what constitutes “communicatio in sacris” and what doesn’t… and I really can’t seem to find a concrete answer.

would really appreciate any help :slight_smile: just…what is a sacred rite? thanks!!

***Quite simply it is the “ceremony”; acts, actions, and aids [like holy oil used for the sacraments like Baptism, Confirmation and the last rites or Marriage which has its own form and “Rite.”, It can and does also apply to other Catholic cermonies that are perscribed and coreographed with certain prayers, actions and responces. **

The termonology is strictly “catholic” but there is no issue in others using the term. The basic issue is the “offer and transferance of Grace” form the “rite” [prayers and actions], as well as sacramental grace, when used within a sacrament.

God Bless,
Pat**

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

I can’t figure out if this relates to two particular cases… if anyone can help me out with this I’d appreciate this very much because I’ve been trying to figure this out for a while :slight_smile:

• if a Catholic has something related to a non Catholic (ie Orthodox) apparition of Mary

• if a Catholic attends a concert with praise and worship concert, which is really more like a worship event than a concert… which is organized by a mostly Catholic band (all but one members of the band are Catholic) - and many Catholics would be in attendance, but probably Protestants too. Since it’s a type of a worship event, and there would not be only Catholics, - can a Catholic attend this?

I guess I’m looking for the traditional understanding… thanks :slight_smile:

God bless!

Well its basically any thing that’s part of worship eg. Hymn, psalms or prayers :slight_smile:

=Monica4316;8277666]Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

I can’t figure out if this relates to two particular cases… if anyone can help me out with this I’d appreciate this very much because I’ve been trying to figure this out for a while :slight_smile:

• if a Catholic has something related to a non Catholic (ie Orthodox) apparition of Mary
  • if a Catholic attends a concert with praise and worship concert, which is really more like a worship event than a concert… which is organized by a mostly Catholic band (all but one members of the band are Catholic) - and many Catholics would be in attendance, but probably Protestants too. Since it’s a type of a worship event, and there would not be only Catholics, - can a Catholic attend this?

I guess I’m looking for the traditional understanding… thanks :slight_smile:

God bless!

YEA!, I see no conflict here UNLESS there is a “communion service” or “call forward” aspect; then it get’s REAL iffy.

Enjoying Praise and Worship with brethern is not wrong so long as we are NOT participating in there “service” and NOT giving scandal to our non-catholic brethern by our being there.

Praise and worship is the same as Ecumenical Prayer Services like the 'National Day of Prayer" or anti -abortions gatherings.

Hope this claifies it for you?

God Bless,
Pat

A sacred rite, as I understand it is something with a Sacramental character.

For example, we used to have a poster here on CAF who claimed that at his Catholic parish a Catholic priest and a protestant minister jointly celebrated a “Mass” that was attended by a mixed group of Catholics and protestants.

That’s clearly a sacred rite and any Catholic, including the priest, who participated in this would be in error.

Baptism is a sacred rite. That’s why Catholics can’t be godparents at a protestant Baptism even though the Church accepts the Baptism as valid.

Private devotions are not sacramental, nor are ecumenical prayer services.

Sacred rite = the Church’s liturgy (Mass and Liturgy of the Hours), sacarements and liturgical/paraliturgical ceremonies.

thanks for the responses :slight_smile:

I’m just wondering because Protestants don’t have the Mass, liturgy, etc… so I was thinking, is praise and worship their sacred rite.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.