What is a "Trapist Monk"?

My husband and I were at Temple Square in Salt Lake City two weeks ago touring the Temple grounds, and the man who helped push my husband’s wheelchair up the hill from the entrance said he was a former Trapist Monk, who joined the Mormon Church when he was 48 years old. He was Italian and lived in Palmyra, New York. He said he and his wife have gone on 9 missions for the LDS church and his wife studied to be a nun at one time. I just wondered what a Trapist is, I think I have heard of it before, but I don’t know what it is. Could any of you tell me about the different kinds of monks and what difference between monks and priests?
Thanks a lot…BJ

158.123.198.5/byoc/workbook/merton.htm

Monks of contemplative orders live away from the world, involving themselves in prayer, study, and community industry. Thomas Merton, social activist writer, is among the most famous of this century. Monks may be either priests or brothers (males in religious communities without taking Holy Orders)

Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance (O.C.S.O.) more commonly known as Trappists

[quote=BJ Colbert]Could any of you tell me about the different kinds of monks and what difference between monks and priests?
[/quote]

This is from a vocations website:

What is the difference between a diocesan priest and a religious priest?

In most situations a diocesan priest works within a well defined area, the diocese, alongside his bishop and fellow priests. He most often works in a parish, but may also be involved in many other forms of ministry: teaching, hospital chaplaincy, prisons, university, migrants and disadvantaged groups.

A religious priest belongs to a community that may go beyond the geographical diocese. He lives within a community of other like-minded men for mutual support in the meeting/answering of a need of church and society, and freely commits himself to live a vowed life poverty, celibacy and obedience. There is an emphasis in community life on shared values, prayer and commitment to Christ.

What is the difference between a brother and a priest?

A brother is a member of a religious community who commits himself to Jesus by the same vows as a religious priest. The fact that he is not ordained does not mean he is less a member of a community. Rather, it shows community life to be a gathering of brothers, joined together in a common purpose. Brothers work in just about every imaginable capacity; you name it, they probably do it!

The priest, on the other hand, has a distinctive sacramental role: celebrating Eucharist, Baptism and Penance. He may work in other areas as well, but sacramental life is his special ministry.

Thank you all, I have read your posts and plan to do some study of the sites you posted. My husband and I were just curious as to what it meant. He thought it was a very strict order and I guess he is right, and you have clarified and pointed out more. I can’t believe there is so much information on this. It is so interesting. :slight_smile: BJ

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.