What is a Wiccan?

I am not sure if I spelled it right (I have only heard the word, never on paper) but, What is a Wikan?

A Wiccan, if that’s what you mean, is someone who considers themselves a witch of sorts and is a member of that religion.

You can search these forums, there have been threads on the topic, and you can google it.

There used to be a regular poster here called Heathen Dawn. If you search his posts you might get a lot of info that way.

Is it just a witch, or is it a Witch that belongs to a certain thing, a buddist Witch (if there can be such a thing) or is Wiccan itself the relgion that the Witch follows?

Howdy Montie. Ex-Wiccan here, what do you want to know?

Wicca is a religion in and of itself, usually based on duotheism which sees Divinity as manifesting in female/male polarity as the Goddess and God. Most Wiccans hold that all goddesses are different facets of their one goddess, and the same for gods/their god. There is a small subset of Wiccans who are true polytheists, believing that each god and goddess exists independently of the others.

The religion is usually said to be nature-oriented with seasonal celebrations based on the cycle of the year. They cast magic circles for the purpose of performing their rites. Some groups work nude, some wear robes. Magic, herbalism and divination feature prominently in the practices of most Wiccans, but are not essential.

Most Wiccans will call themselves witches, but not all who call themselves witches are Wiccans.

Anything else?

[quote=Montie Claunch]Is it just a witch, or is it a Witch that belongs to a certain thing, a buddist Witch (if there can be such a thing) or is Wiccan itself the relgion that the Witch follows?
[/quote]

Montie, I am not 100% sure but I believe Wiccan is the religion. It’s mostly a bunch of New Age wierdo’s trying to follow some kind of ancient earth worshipping Druid religion. There is nothing of substance there.

I wouldn’t call them all weirdos. Many are truly seeking an interaction with Deity. Granted there are not many doctrines, and there almost seem to be as many branches of Wicca as Protestantism. There’s one group that only has a Goddess (Dianic Wicca I think) and then the dual god/goddess ones, and the polys.

Still some seem to find something in the faith that inspires them to be better people.

I’m not a Wiccan, but I won’t disparage their faith.
Pax,
Amy

[quote=a_cermak]I wouldn’t call them all weirdos. Many are truly seeking an interaction with Deity. Granted there are not many doctrines, and there almost seem to be as many branches of Wicca as Protestantism. There’s one group that only has a Goddess (Dianic Wicca I think) and then the dual god/goddess ones, and the polys.

Still some seem to find something in the faith that inspires them to be better people.

I’m not a Wiccan, but I won’t disparage their faith.
Pax,
Amy
[/quote]

Amy you could be right. There is just something that keeps trying to come to me from the back of my mind…it seems it was something I have read before…I get it on the tip of my tounge and then it goes away. …It seems that somewhere I read that God said something to the effect of “I Am The Lord Your God You Shall Not Put False gods Before Me”. I don’t know they may not be wierdos after all…probably just hedionists :wink:

[quote=Montie Claunch]Is it just a witch, or is it a Witch that belongs to a certain thing, a buddist Witch (if there can be such a thing) or is Wiccan itself the relgion tha the Witch follows?
[/quote]

Wicca comes from the religion of the Druids of ancient England, mixed in with a bunch of other pagan religions it picked up along the way.

[quote=Mike Dye]I don’t know they may not be wierdos after all…probably just hedionists :wink:
[/quote]

Be careful with that word. Alan Keyes sparked a clothing line in IL during his disastrous Senate run here. He referred to gays as selfish hedonists and I still see “selfish hedonist” shirts being worn to this day. :slight_smile:

Cracks me up everytime I see them.

Pax,
Amy

http://www.rattan-island.com/furniture%20pics/$083%20Martaban%20Arm%20Chair%20cak-f%20rt%2002%20088%2070x62x82%20CmH%20.jpg

I think this is a wicca chair.

Mike, I know a great many Wiccans who are every bit as sincere and devout in their faith as any Catholic. Seems to me you’re being a little judgemental here. While the religion is certainly lacking in the truth department, to disparage its adherents is at the least uncharitable. Most of them are genuinely seeking for God. They’ve simply been mislead.

m134e5, Wicca has absolutely nothing to do with the Druids or any other ancient religion outside of borrowing deity names and symbols. Wicca is the product of an Englishman named Gerald Gardner, who adapted a handful of rituals from the Golden Dawn and Alister Crowley (whom he knew personally), combined with the now largely discredited ideas of mythologists like Magaret Murray and James G. Frazier. Wicca has no direct links to any genuine ancient pagan religions and has existed only since the 1950’s.

If you’re genuinely interested in the history of Wicca, the best book available on the subject is Triumph of the Moon by Ronald Hutton, who is a Wiccan. The so-called ancient history of Wicca which continues to be perpetrated by writers like Silver Ravenwolf has been thoroughly discredited; something which is acknowledged by most serious Wiccans.

A Wiccan is basically anything you want it to be. It’s really a religion that one makes up as they go along.

[quote=mt_carmel]A Wiccan is basically anything you want it to be. It’s really a religion that one makes up as they go along.
[/quote]

I think you’re confusing that with the protestant religion(s)… :wink:

[quote=mt_carmel]A Wiccan is basically anything you want it to be. It’s really a religion that one makes up as they go along.
[/quote]

Neo-paganism is basically anything you want it to be. Wicca is a particuar religion which qualifies as neo-pagan. It has certain identifiable features, such as the Wiccan Rede and Threefold Law, emphasis on a masculine/feminine polarity, Sabbats, etc., which define Wicca.

[quote=b_justb]http://www.rattan-island.com/furniture%20pics/$083%20Martaban%20Arm%20Chair%20cak-f%20rt%2002%20088%2070x62x82%20CmH%20.jpg

[/quote]

:rotfl: :rotfl:

[quote=b_justb]http://www.rattan-island.com/furniture%20pics/$083%20Martaban%20Arm%20Chair%20cak-f%20rt%2002%20088%2070x62x82%20CmH%20.jpg

[/quote]

:clapping: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

A wiccan is something made of woven basket-work… :rolleyes:
Like my grandma’s wiccan rocker…

No, but seriously: a Wiccan is someone who has no more intelligence or education than my grandma’s wicker rocker…

[quote=tjmiller]No, but seriously: a Wiccan is someone who has no more intelligence or education than my grandma’s wicker rocker…
[/quote]

Now hold on. I too am a former Wiccan and I’ll have you know I’m plenty intelligent and I hold three advanced degrees, one in religion. Calling Wiccans uneducated and unintelligent is nothing more than petty and mean.

No, Wicca is not the Truth. But the Wiccans I know are very wonderful people. Religiously misguided perhaps, but still wonderful and moral people.

Can’t you just feel the love of Christ permeating this thread?

It’s one thing to argue against the beliefs and practises fo a religion, it’s another to hurl insults at its adherents.

I hope any Wiccans who might be just beginning to explore Catholicism don’t come across this one. A sure way to drive away the lost who might be making their first grasps at the truth.

[/quote]

I think this quote, along with the next about Protestants, is certainly applicable…some…BUT I happen to think the vast majority of Wiccans and Protestants, present company included, are sincere…and earnestly seek truth…just my thought.
BH

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.