What is a working definition of marriage?

My wife and I were givng a Pre-Cana talk to a group of young, engaged, mostly Catholic couples recently. During the talk my wife gave a definition of marriage as “one man and one woman, not two men or two women”. She also talked about
“a lifelong union between a man and a woman, a blending of their lives, and a process of becoming “one.” This means a 100-percent, eyes-wide-open commitment to one another ~ one that is declared publicly and before God”.

In the written evaluations, we found one person thought that my wife was ‘gay-bashing’ and that she should keep her personal opinions to herself. :confused:

Any thoughts from the forum?

There’s one in every class. :smiley: It’s pre-cana and if someone isn’t ready to accept the Church’s teaching on marriage he/she is not really properly disposed to ask for the Sacrament. Sad but true.

Your definition is good. I wouldn’t take anything away. Of course, the next sentance should be about God’s presense in the marriage long after the public declarations are done. :wink:

Nothing wrong with what you’re wife said. What she gave is the correct definition of marriage that has been taught by the Church for 2000 years. The one and only definition.

I agree with Corki above; this person sounds like they are the one who’s not ready to receive the sacrament. It is after all a sacrament, not a right.

Thanks for the kind words. We, as a couple, always try to accurately present church teachings. Your positive thoughts are very affirming, and will help us to continue on. :thumbsup:

Next time, from the outset make it more clear you are not giving your personal opinion but are teaching the truths of the Church. Use some of the language taken directly out of various Church documents.

There are many who are blinded by secular society. It’s important for them to know the truth. Let the rest roll off your back.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.