What is adoration?

This might be a silly question, but in the past year I have been taking my faith more seriously and I am trying to learn more about it… But last night I picked my son up from school and there was a sign on the door that was welcoming those coming for “adoration.” It looked like the church was opened up and available for people to pray if they wanted to. But I am not sure what adoration is. Would you be so kind as to explain what this is?

“Adoration” in this context refers to worship of the Eucharist, which is the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus Christ, present under the appearance of bread and wine. Because the Eucharist remains the body and blood of Christ so long as the appearances of bread and wine remain, the Church invites people to worship Christ under the form of bread in eucharistic adoration. A Communion host is placed in a monstrance, and placed upon an altar for people to gaze at, pray before, and worship. Some churches offer this opportunity only at specific hours, others have perpetual adoration available.

**Recommended reading:

In the Presence of Our Lord** by Fr. Benedict Groeschel, C.F.R., and James Monti

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.