What is Agnosticism?

What is Agnosticism?
By ImperialPhoenix

What is Agnosticism? You might ask. In Merrian-Webster, Agnostic comes from the Greek word agnOstos, meaning unknown or unknowable. It is a person that views that a deity is unknown and possible unknowable. Agnostics are different from atheists in which agnostics would still believe in god or a deity but would hold that it is unknowable if God exists. There are two types of agnosticism, weak and strong. Weak agnostics tend to be more open minded and believe that a deity is unknown but not necessarily unknowable. In contrast to strong agnosticism which believes that it is impossible for people to know if God or gods exists.

Any agnostics, weak or strong, tend to reject any authority from established religious organizations. Often agnostics would develop questions of conduct for him or herself. It is unusual for agnostics to form his or her own moral values and philosophy of life, or would often times borrow moral values and philosophies of life from other religions. Agnostics would consider good and evil as a grey area. For sin, agnostics tend to believe that it is not useful, again going back to agnostics believing that there is no good nor evil, but just a grey area. Agnostics don’t always do whatever he or she pleases. They are still under the laws of the government and would adhere to the laws their government leaders pass through legislation. Most agnostics don’t have a fear of God’s judgment.

Agnostics tend to view the Bible as a piece of early ancient history legend. As mentioned earlier, agnostics don’t believe in God, they would in turn believe that Jesus was not God but more of a holy man similar to Buddha. Agnostics believes that the Virgin Birth as a doctrine taken over from pagan mythology, in which spontaneous births were common. With the Trinity, since agnostics believe that God or gods are unknowable, the belief of the Trinity cannot be possible without a belief in God.

Most [strong] agnostics are doubtful of the body as they are of the soul, some small numbers of weak agnostics would believe that there are souls. The question of an afterlife to an agnostic would not be in their minds. To them there is no Heaven and Hell, much like good and evil are not separate discussed earlier. Strong agnostics would not believe in a heaven.

What would give agnostics evidence that God does in fact exists? Some would believe that “if I heard a voice from the sky predicting all that was going to happen to me during the next twenty-four hours” – name. Or often times they would find God in unexpected places. They would find God in events such as automobile accidents, natural disasters, terrorism attacks, serious illness, death of a friend of family, or even to as non tragic with a conversation between two acquaintances. Weak agnostics are willing to change their belief if there is substantial evidence that God exists while strong agnostics would tend to hold to their belief as God being an unknown and would be impossible to know.

Work Cited:

What is an Agnostic by Bertrand Russell

[Wikipedia entry on agnosticism](“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic#Variations”)

Agnosticism @ religioustolerance.org

Dear ImperialPhoenix,

Thank you for your post #1.

The following I found to be of particular interest:

“It is unusual for agnostics to form his or her own moral values and philosophy of life, or would often times borrow moral values and philosophies of life from other religions.” quote, ImperialPhoenix

I’m most appreciative of your sharing your knowledge,

reen12

I am curious about agnostics being doubtful about bodies…what does that mean?

cheddar

Only A fool believes there is no God. :eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.