What is allowed

I have read alot of the topics here and can’t seem to find what I am searching for. Maybe I overlooked it but the search didn’t find it either.
First let me start by saying that I am currently Baptist but the only services I have attended for last few years is the Catholic Services.I will be starting my RCIA this Sunday, but I am too impatient to wait until then to ask all my questions. I am married to a Catholic and our marriage is recognized by the Catholic church and our three children will become part of church as soon as we can find godparents(didn’t know it would be so hard). Anyway for the question…
Even though I have been attending Mass for last several years I would say I am confused on what I can or cannot do while there. I know that communion is out and that I am okay with as I have not completed my journey to becoming Catholic(barely started), but are there other things I should not do. My wife seems to think that it is okay to cross myself but I feel that that is something that would be reserved for those already fully in the Catholic Faith. Can someone tell me what is right here as I trust my wife however I would rather have a second opinion. I know this is rather trivial for some but as someone that is fully looking forward to becoming Catholic I do not want to overstep my bounds. Any help is appreciated. also if anyone knows of other things I should avoid I would be glad to take some advice. (if any of this is worded in an inappropriate manner please correct me as I am learning here)

The main think that is not allowed is reception of the Eucharist.

Crossing yourself is fine, if you feel uncomfortable doing it then don’t do it but it is okay to do so.

Blessing yourself with the Holy Water when you enter the Church is also acceptable.

It is perfectly OK to use Holy Water to bless yourself, and to make the sign of the cross. It is perfectly OK to do other Catholic devotions. And that includes The Rosary. Your not confirmed yet? So what? Aside from not taking communion, do any and all devotions you desire to bring you closer to God. He understand:D

Congrats on your upcoming step closer to the Church!
You are allowed to participate fully in the Mass, except for receiving Communion. You may make the Sign of the Cross (it is a blessing, and will bring graces to you), use holy water, genuflect, and participate in whatever devotions or “extra-missal” parish activities you would like and feel called to.
Peace!

You are Catholic! At Heart!

Welcome Home!

God bless you, Milkey :).

The answers the other posters gave you already are right on target. Crossing yourself is fine.

Also, I recommend to you that you may want to begin practicing Eucharistic Adoration. Even though you have never partaken of it, you can still gaze upon our Lord in the form of the Eucharist and worship Him. It can prove a wonderfully intimate experience with God. I strongly recommend Eucharistic Adoration :). You don’t have to be a Catholic to worship the only true God, and He is the Eucharist, so worshipping Him in that form of such near and wonderful presence is truly glorious.

Thanks everyone. I feel better now knowing I won’t be doing things I shouldn’t. I appreciate all responses and I am sure I will be asking more as time goes on.

Any time! :slight_smile:

I have three kids. They are grown now, but I have a question.

Who determines when a child can receive Communion?

I was told by my pastor that it is the parent. He never provided a quote to canon law or anything. The religious education teacher thought it was her job to determine when my daughter was to receive communion. I guess she was wrong. I think it cost her her job too. Anyway I asked the pastor and he told me it was ok for my daughter to receive Communion early, due to a special situation. She also went to all the classes when she got to be old enough. Was my pastor correct?

it is the pastor, who has resposibility for all souls in his parish, who decides who is worthily disposed to receive the sacraments, because it is he who applies the canon law in each case. The parents, who are the primary educators of their child in the faith, are the ones who prepare the child for sacraments, and the parish provides a religious education program to assist them. That program is usually directed by a religious or lay person who has been delegated by the pastor to assist him in making that determination. That person has guidelines from the pastor and the bishop which must be followed, and it is her responsibility to do so for the children entrusted to her care. It is however quite in order for the pastor to make that determination himself, after consulting with the parents and with the child herself. in all cases the parents should have primary input in assessing the child’s readiness.

Until you become a Catholic, you cannot receive any Sacrament by the Church, especially the Eucharist, except in exceptional conditions, such as near death.

Until this glorious day comes, do feel free to take advantage of sacramentals, such the Sign of the Cross, the sign of our Faith.

:blessyou:

Both are right. What is important is that the Catholic child believes that the Lord is present in the Eucharist, though in the appearance of bread and wine. You, as the parent, can assess this fairly well.

On the other hand, the RE director has the responsibility of making sure that the children under his care are given this instruction and come to believe in this mystery.

However, the pastor is the sole person with authority in the parish. All others serving the parish, even in positions of authority, do so under the pastor’s authority, including the RE director.

Now, given that the parish is your faith community, you should seek to comply with the ordinary practices there in order to foster fellowship. Short of exceptional cases, of course, when the pastor can decide when to make an exception.

:blessyou:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.