I keep seeing prayers entitled “Act of Consecration to __________”. What exactly is this? What does it mean?
Maybe I should be more clear. For instance, Consecration to Mary, Consecration to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and a whole lot of others, too. Does one just say these prayers privately? What do they do? Is it a particular practice, with rules? Some require preparation? Please tell me! :D
[quote="Student09, post:1, topic:177118"]
I keep seeing prayers entitled "Act of Consecration to __________". What exactly is this? What does it mean?
A dictionary response says simply:
- ** a solemn commitment of your life or your time to some cherished purpose **(to a service or a goal); "his consecration to study"
- (religion) *sanctification of something by setting it apart *(usually with religious rites) as dedicated to God; "the Cardinal attended the consecration of the church" wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
- consecrate - give: give entirely to a specific person, activity, or cause; "She committed herself to the work of God"; "give one's talents to a good cause"; "consecrate your life to the church"
- consecrate - vow: dedicate to a deity by a vow
- consecrate - render holy by means of religious rites
As you may have seen it, for example, as consecration to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, or to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, it simply means a commitment on your part to give special devotion to the will of Our Lord, or to the wishes of His Most Holy Mother.
The consecration may be by way of a special religious ceremony with specific vows being taken, which, in some cases, may amount to an oath, or they may simply be a special declaration on your part to give such devotion.
The requirements of the devotions themselves may be formally set down by some group, in which case as part of consecrating yourself to that devotion, you are expected to follow the rules of the devotion, or they may simply be rules which you establish for yourself, such as special prayer, attending mass more often, helping the needy, but all done with the specific intent to further the special devotion which you have given yourself.
There are several such formal devotions to Our Lord and to His Mother. Some may require a formal declaration on your part, but not on the level of a religious vow.
To you, all the best in Christ.