What is an open marriage?

Hi Forum,

I came back from my best bud’s birthday party last night and heard my parents arguing loudly and I heard them say that from now on their marriage would be an open marriage, what is an open marriage?

[quote="William_P, post:1, topic:202431"]
Hi Forum,

I came back from my best bud's birthday party last night and heard my parents arguing loudly and I heard them say that from now on their marriage would be an open marriage, what is an open marriage?

[/quote]

well this is a Catholic forum, and there is no such thing in the sacramental economy as "open marriage" so I guess you will have to ask your parents what they mean, and why on earth they would publicize their decision in that manner. Do you mean you overheard their argument which you were not meant to hear? In which case you behave as if you never heard the comment, or do you mean they told you that? In which case you will have to ask them.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:2, topic:202431"]
well this is a Catholic forum, and there is no such thing in the sacramental economy as "open marriage" so I guess you will have to ask your parents what they mean, and why on earth they would publicize their decision in that manner. Do you mean you overheard their argument which you were not meant to hear? In which case you behave as if you never heard the comment, or do you mean they told you that? In which case you will have to ask them.

[/quote]

I overheard them arguing, they didn't know I was there.

Don't know how old you are, but best you be prepared for turbulent times at home.

If you haven't started saying a Daily Rosary, now would be a good time to start.

Develop some mental toughness to get you through.

Anyway, the best thing is to focus on prayer for a while.*

Prayer is just one way of talking to God.

And, in my opinion, the rosary is about the best way to pray on your own.

Here is a place to start with the rosary.

theholyrosary.org/index.html

The rosary is pretty flexible. You can start and stop depending on your schedule. And you can add your own special requests.

Basically, the rosary is just thinking about the life of Jesus and appealing to Mary to pray for us (since she is the mother of Jesus) and to God and to the Holy Spirit to give us what we need to get through life’s difficulties.

[By the way, if you don’t have a set of rosary beads, it’s just a way of keeping track of where you are in the prayer … you can make your own by getting any piece of string and tying ten knots in it.]

Dear William P,

I am near your age and will pray for you, so that the Holy Mother of God will strengthen you and your family.

Love from Rachael (littletherese3):heart:

It is tough at your age to be without guidance from a higher authority whether it be parents or that "religion stuff." Depending on where you live you are at the age to be looking at confirmation? Are you being raised Catholic? Is it that you feel your Catholic education is lacking or is it tha you just have not understood things in the past?

Ok, cool, thanks, I will do that.

Thanks Rachael!

[quote="joandarc2008, post:8, topic:202431"]
It is tough at your age to be without guidance from a higher authority whether it be parents or that "religion stuff." Depending on where you live you are at the age to be looking at confirmation? Are you being raised Catholic? Is it that you feel your Catholic education is lacking or is it tha you just have not understood things in the past?

[/quote]

I don't know if anybody in my family ever did the confirmation thing, no one ever told me anything about it.

I asked my mom what religion we were years ago and she said Catholic but it isn't discussed at all in our home, she didn't give me any details or anything.

Praying for you! I come from a family who has experienced hard times too. As for wondering what it means to be Catholic, well, you’ve come to the right website! :slight_smile:

[quote="William_P, post:11, topic:202431"]
I don't know if anybody in my family ever did the confirmation thing, no one ever told me anything about it.

I asked my mom what religion we were years ago and she said Catholic but it isn't discussed at all in our home, she didn't give me any details or anything.

[/quote]

Well, if your Mom has identified you as Catholic then we would be happy to help you find peace. I know my father was Catholic and my mother was Protestant - because of it - I got raised Protestant. Because of it - I did not convert until I was an adult but it was something that was rarely talked about when I was younger. I am 31 now and going into Youth Ministry. Mainly teen because I feel I would have had more peace in my life if I had been raised in the Church which is a talk that my Dad and I have had since then. It could be that your Mom doesn't understand or agree with things and that is something that is not your "place" to question. But you can be an example. One thing you can ask her to do you off at the Church to talk to a priest and enroll you in a CCD program so you can learn about your faith. Also any questions you have we are here to answer. We just will be careful about answering questions about parents as that is their "business." Please feel free to PM me as well or ask any of the mods who will help as well because of your age.

I am sorry you had to see your parents fight. I am 40 and I still think it is an unpleasant experience.

Pray to God to help you out.

One suggestion, perhaps you could make it a habit everytime you walk into the house to say in a loud voice 'I'm home'.

This way, the next time they have a fight they will kno you are there and to keep in down and since you have been doing it for a while, they will not think 'it is a hint'

CM

At the very top of the page, there is a button called "Encyclopedia'.

Just for fun and out of curiosity, you might want to click on that and browse around for topics that might pique your interest.

Not so much that there is a lot to learn, but rather that there is a lot of good info available.

This particular encyclopedia is an earlier edition, but when you consider that the Catholic Church is 2000 years old, there isn't a lot of stuff that is all that new.

There are some more recent saints and fasting before Holy Communion and stuff like that, but the basics of the sacraments and teachings have not changed. There are other things to read as well, but some of them are written in a sort of complicated kind of way, in my opinion. Recent books include the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Before that there was the Baltimore Catechism which was published in different editions for different age groups. You can find those on the internet.

But please feel free to post here any specific questions or general questions that might come to you.

There are some things you will need to know from your Mom if you don’t know them:

1. Were you baptized?
    a) Where is your baptismal certificate?

2. Did you have your first communion?
    a) Where is that certificate?

I am pretty sure you would remember things like your first confession - which if you had it - you probably had your first communion. If you can get your hands on these - keep them in a safe place they are very important or ask your mom for a copy - the priest may need to see them to know how to properly assist you or help put you in the right type of classes.

Other than that maybe asking your mom if she will take you to mass might not be such a bad thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.