What is analytical philosophy and what exactly is wrong with it?

I watched a video of an interview of Lizzie Answers by Dr Taylor Marshall, wonderful discussion from wonderful people. However, Lizzie mentioned something around 10 minutes into the video talking about “analytical philosophy” and she was basically saying that she had dropped that form of enlightenment philosophy when she got deeper into Catholic philosophy (specifically virtue ethics). I fid some research on what she was talking about, but I couldn’t really get a clear definition online about what “analytical philosophy” means. Does anyone know the exact definition and why Lizzie and Dr Marshall were skeptical of that kind of philosophical method (as I put both of those people at really high esteem)

It’s what we normally think of as modern philosophy, the kind taught in academia. She probably doesn’t like it because it takes a dim view of metaphysics, which religion is somewhat reliant upon. This is the feeling that I get, anyway.

Analytical philosophy is what mainstream American/Canadian/British philosophers normally practice in the top universities these days. It can be contrasted with both continental philosophy and Thomistic (Catholic) philosophy.

Analytic philosophy relies fairly heavily on various forms of logic, which may or may not be accepted by Catholic philosophers. Phrases like “possible worlds” and “properties” abound in analytic philosophy literature. An example of a famous Christian (non-Catholic) analytic philosopher would be Alvin Plantinga.

A Thomist philosopher will normally rely more heavily on concepts such as existence, essences, natures, substances, accidents, actuality, potentiality, etc, following the Aristotelian tradition incorporated by St Thomas Aquinas. A “virtue” ethics or theory of knowledge also hearkens back to Aristotle who thought of things in terms of natures—as in, what it is to be a human is to be x,y,z (eg, a rational animal who is capable of rizability). An analytic philosopher doesn’t necessarily think in terms of “natures.” To the analytic philosopher, things are, rather, various bundles of properties.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.