What is Ang Dating Daan?

I kept hearing about this Ang Dating Daan thing and went to their web page. From what I saw it was some type of protestant denomination in the Philippines.

So whats the big deal about them if anything? Is it some kind of new JW or LDS type group?, it didnt look like it on their page.

I’m happy Ang is dating Daan. Are they making wedding plans yet?

Edwin, being silly

I’m not sure what it is, either - you may want to do a search on this forum for some information on them.

Please pray for our brothers and sisters in the Philippines. As an American of Filipino decent, I’m saddened to hear that groups such as this and Iglesia Ni Cristo have made in-roads in pulling people of the Philippines away from the Church. I have many friends here who have been a part of these groups (I wouldn’t even call them Christian) that have been so damaged by them, they cannot see the Truth of Jesus Christ. They deny His Divinity, they’re confused about the message of the Gospels, and they seem to be very bitter people. That’s not the true nature of the Filipinos.

OK, done being flippant now. . . .

I visited the website, and the remarkable thing is that they are very confident of their own uniqueness but actually don’t seem to have any peculiar doctrines beyond standard conservative/fundamentalist Protestant ones. I suspect they may be Pentecostal, but couldn’t find evidence of this. Their only peculiar doctrine is their emphasis on belonging to the one true Church, which they clearly think they are. But this becomes circular, since as I said they don’t seem to be teaching anything different from a myriad other groups. It’s really rather strange, although unfortunately it’s not the first such group in the history of modern Protestantism!

Edwin

Thats what confused me, I originally visited their page and it was the standard protestant claims…I couldnt tell if it was just another denomination or what.

led by MR. Eliseo Soriano…

this sect is has always been on fight with Iglesia ni Manalo…

pls pray for them…such a pity…

Actually, ADD is the name of their television program on Channel 37. The group’s leader, Eliseo Soriano’s denomination is called the Iglesia ng Dios kay Cristo Hesus, Haligi at Suhay ng Katotohanan (Church of God International), and was a disciple of a Bulacan preacher named Nicolas Perez.

They have become well-known (or notorious) in the Philippines recently for their acrimonious, tit-for-tat debates with the Iglesia ni Cristo which put up a television program (Ang Tamang Daan) on their TV channel (NET 25) specifically directed at the ADD.

ang dating daan (the old path), is a television and radio program by a cult that is called
’CHURCH OF GOD INTERNATIONAL’, headed by a vitriolic ‘preacher’ named eliseo soriano,
they adhere to the belief of ‘sola scriptura’ but deny ‘sola fide’, this group is deeply
anti-catholic, for a more thorough background and refutation of this cults belief one can
visit ben douglas’ website www.pugiofidei.com under the heading protestantism…
GOOD DAY AND GOD BLESS TO ALL:):slight_smile:

Ang Dating Daan I think is a new cult founded by Eli Soriano who believes he is perfect in his teaching of the bible. This person challenge every preacher to a debate but during the debate he always tried to intimidate his opponent. He is always looking for trouble with the INC headed by Manalo.

[quote="janryboy, post:6, topic:60739"]
led by MR. Eliseo Soriano...

this sect is has always been on fight with Iglesia ni Manalo...

pls pray for them...such a pity...

[/quote]

Its because they are also not Trinitarian.
The original member split off from the INC.

All about Eli Soriano of Ang DAting Daan...
network54.com/Forum/261121/

[quote="4Squarebaby, post:10, topic:60739"]
Its because they are also not Trinitarian.
The original member split off from the INC.

[/quote]

ADD is a religious sect led by Eli Soriano who believes that he is the sent one or so called SUGO by God to preach the Gospel to the world. He believes that he is perfect when it comes to the bible teachings. That he can answer all the questions regarding faith biblically.That his church is the only one true church that teaches the word of God and the very elect of Christ.

He also believes that he is the only one that can explain the prophesies in the bible. Also part of his teachings to his members not to put your money in the bank but instead put in his bank account to help him in propagating the word of God in the world.

Also teaches that in doing good to others, you dont need to inform anyone. But they have a TV show in UNTV 37 showing FREE bus rides (with his FACE coated the whole bus), FREE Medical Check ups with a Big Tarpaulin of his face). etc.. Pls watch UNTV 37 in the Philippines for reference.

If you want to know more about ADD, email me at [email]skeptical23@hotmail.com[/email].

[quote="Catholic_Dude, post:1, topic:60739"]
I kept hearing about this Ang Dating Daan thing and went to their web page. From what I saw it was some type of protestant denomination in the Philippines.

So whats the big deal about them if anything? Is it some kind of new JW or LDS type group?, it didnt look like it on their page.

[/quote]

They're not Protestant. They're an offshoot of the Iglesia ni Cristo cult from the Philippines.

If you want verse manipulation at its worst, these guys are the way to go. Their leader has dissected every word from the Bible, tore it apart from its context, and made it to mean what he wants others to believe.

They're restorationists like the LDS, SDA, JW and INC.

[quote="Rudy_Ann, post:9, topic:60739"]
Ang Dating Daan I think is a new cult founded by Eli Soriano who believes he is perfect in his teaching of the bible. This person challenge every preacher to a debate but during the debate he always tried to intimidate his opponent. He is always looking for trouble with the INC headed by Manalo.

[/quote]

Its not new, they've been around for a while. They just gained prominence in the last decade or so because of their TV show. But Eli Soriano's father, I believe was an INC minister who then split from that cult because I think he wanted to be the leader of INC but the Manalos aren't going to give the leadership to anyone outside their family. Something like that, I can't remember the exact story. Eventually Eli took reigns of a group and erected his own group.

I actually know quite a bit about them. I dated an Iglesia Ni Christo (INC) or Church of Christ woman for a year and half. Basically, INC beliefs are a hodge podge of different branches of Christianity. And this stems from their founder Felix Manalo who basically church jumped his whole life until, as the story goes, he went to his room for three days and heard the true word of God telling him to restore the Apostacised church and gave him the true interpertation of the bible. They believe that the bible prophecizes that the true Church will come from far east (which the pervert into meaning the Phillipines) They do this be recklessly combing quotes from various bibles to make them say certain things. For instance they will combine KJV and Moffat translations in mid scentence to make it fit what they want it to say.

At various points in time Felix Manalo belonged to various different churches including Catholic, SDA, and various protestant sects so almost all of their objections to the Church come from these protestant objections. It is even rumored that he went to America after he founded his church to study Mormonism and does take a few of his beliefs from them as well. If you look at their main church it is very much Mormon influence in architecture.

They do not belief in the Trinity, the divinity of Jesus, the Papacy (although the have an Executive Minister that acts exactly like a Pope except with even more power).

They require attendance at their service which the hold twice a week. These are actually marked by cards you flip and are checked off. If you do not come to the service they aggressively follow-up on you. You must sit seperated from men and women and they do have forms of punishment. For instance, being an officer in their church is considered to be a great honor, and there for they have tons and tons of officers. For instance, being in the choir is considered being an officer. If you miss a choir practice you cannot sing at all that week and it kind of becomes a little bit of a scandel (unless you got permission to miss it in the first place.) But I digress…

ADD which also means The Old Path, is a TV show of a splinter group of an origanol splinter group from INC. Eli Soriano is it leader but ADD splintered off from some other group led be Teo something or other because Eli was not going to be named head of Teo’s group. So he basically decided to splinter and start his own group that of course, contains the truth.

Bascially, Manalo insisted that he was God’s last prophet and also an angel of God. This occured after there was kind of a coup that was attempted on his church and which started all this splintering.

Stay away my friend. They are a cult and I do not use that term lightly. I know from first hand experience and observation.

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:14, topic:60739"]
Its not new, they've been around for a while. They just gained prominence in the last decade or so because of their TV show. But Eli Soriano's father, I believe was an INC minister who then split from that cult because I think he wanted to be the leader of INC but the Manalos aren't going to give the leadership to anyone outside their family. Something like that, I can't remember the exact story. Eventually Eli took reigns of a group and erected his own group.

[/quote]

Pretty close to correct. Right now INC is on the third generation of Manalo as Executive Minister. What is a shame is that they builk their congregations out of a ton of money. I have never seen so many sermons on how you must give to the church as a way to worship god.

WHat is sad is that the just built a 50,000 person "Fillipina Arena" with the funds. This is largely a business move as it will give them a place to hold their Grand Evengelical Missions as well as sporting events and other things to basically bank roll more money for the Manalo's. IT is sad because the INC members I know are really awesome and wonderful people. They are just too indoctrinated (to put it politely) to know any better , and again I do not use that term lightly or casually.

A few corrections. The Manalos aren’t just Popes, they’re cult leaders. They control the lives of their members and the ministers micromanage the lives of people. This includes coercion and emotional blackmail. For example, as you stated you dated one who is INC. You cannot marry her unless you convert. If she converts out to marry, her family and friends in the INC will be threatened by the ministers to convince her to return, or shun her forever. They do so with threats that they will be removed from their “Book of Life”. Basically only those names in that book will enter heaven (from Revelations, sort of).

Also, every elections every politician of every Religion in the Philippines kiss up to their ministers. Presidential aspirants kiss up to the executive minister. They only have about 2-3 million voting members. So why kiss up in a county with about 45 million voters? Because their members vote who their leaders tell them to vote. If they do not, they will be excommunicated.

There’s so many horrifying stories from this cult. The ADD is no different. Don’t engage them in debates or anything, don’t date any of their members. Many there are good people, but they’ve been brain washed. So better to keep distance.

I know. I have many friends who are INC as well.

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:17, topic:60739"]
A few corrections. The Manalos aren't just Popes, they're cult leaders. They control the lives of their members and the ministers micromanage the lives of people. This includes coercion and emotional blackmail. For example, as you stated you dated one who is INC. You cannot marry her unless you convert. If she converts out to marry, her family and friends in the INC will be threatened by the ministers to convince her to return, or shun her forever. They do so with threats that they will be removed from their "Book of Life". Basically only those names in that book will enter heaven (from Revelations, sort of).

Also, every elections every politician of every Religion in the Philippines kiss up to their ministers. Presidential aspirants kiss up to the executive minister. They only have about 2-3 million voting members. So why kiss up in a county with about 45 million voters? Because their members vote who their leaders tell them to vote. If they do not, they will be excommunicated.

There's so many horrifying stories from this cult. The ADD is no different. Don't engage them in debates or anything, don't date any of their members. Many there are good people, but they've been brain washed. So better to keep distance.

[/quote]

Very true what you said. I have witnessed all of this (except for the voting coercion) myself. I did edit my last post about the Manalo's being like the pope except with more power. But other than that everything you said is correct.

There are many news articles attesting to the voting fact.

[quote="DJK100, post:19, topic:60739"]
Very true what you said. I have witnessed all of this (except for the voting coercion) myself. I did edit my last post about the Manalo's being like the pope except with more power. But other than that everything you said is correct.

There are many news articles attesting to the voting fact.

[/quote]

They're not hiding it. Its well publicized in the dailies in the Philippines when the presidential candidates make their trek to the Manalo mansion. And then the media eagerly await and make a fuss on who the INCs anointed one is. The problem is they are enabling the cult with this action. The whole reason they're doing this is political leverage. And the politicians and the media just oblige. Sickening.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.