What is blasphemy? Is this an example of it?

I heard some guy I know say F the holy Spirit and F god and Jesus and I do not care if I go to hell . And he called him a motherfer . Is he eternally damned? He is very sorry for this and we were in jail together and the church lady said that’s not exactly blasphemy it can be but it’s more like saying I don’t believe . So can my friend be forgiven if he repents? Ps I think it should be important to note that he is schizophrenic and bipolar. Did he blasphemed the holy spirit or did he just curse

Blasphemous or not, God forgives all that seek forgiveness no matter what was said or done.

3 Likes

But what about Mathew 12:31

I don’t know, but God does. He knows the heart. I believe that God can save anyone who solemnly believes in Him and seeks him out.

I will definitely be praying for this man.

God Bless.

I don’t know the official Church teachings on Matthew 12:31. I’ve heard “blasphemy against the Holy Spirit” interpreted to just mean rejecting forgiveness. You can not be forgiven if you will not accept the Holy Spirit, but again I don’t know the official Church teachings.

Edit: Here’s an answer from Catholic.com https://www.catholic.com/qa/is-blasphemy-against-the-holy-spirit-unforgivable

But to answer my main question is what my friend said blasphemy?

Blasephemy is defined “the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God”

In the same bible passage you mentioned it said even blasphemy against God and Jesus is forgiven. I think blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the rejection of God’s mercy and rejection of forgiveness itself.

In that case, so am I. I did that when I was an atheist.

I hope that Matt 12:31 is about those who do not repent of their blasphemy. Because I repented.
Remember, God’s mercy endures forever.

2 Likes

Why is blasphemy worse than murder? Why does he say blasphemy against the holy Spirit is unforgivable but murdering kids and raping isn’t? Sounds a little unfair

If you interpret it the way I said, it is because blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is to refuse being forgiven. Basically, the only unforgivable sin is to choose not to accept being forgiven. Anybody that will accept God’s mercy is forgiven.

1 Like

Then why didn’t he just say whoever commits final impenitence won’t be forgiven why does he say whoever speaks a word against the holy spirit don’t have forgiveness

Sorry, I don’t know the answer. The Holy Trinity is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit in one God. Jesus said that blasphemy against God the Father and Himself would be forgiven, but not the Holy Spirit. There must be a reason for the distinction when the Holy Spirit is a person of one God. An answer on the church’s teachings is found in the link I posted earlier:

https://www.catholic.com/qa/is-blasphemy-against-the-holy-spirit-unforgivable

Edit: Perhaps Jesus spoke it this way to again emphasize the mystery of the Holy Trinity?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.