What is Cardinal Law actually guilty of?

What is Cardinal Law actually guilty of?

If I remember correctly it was actually him which brought to light the abuses where were happening. All you hear form people and the media is that he is a bad man destined to hell and worthy to be hated.

My question is, what did he actually do? Being Specific would help here. If he did anything illegal then it seems to me he would have been arrested. Is paying a settlement in a lawsuit a crime? My normal distrust of the popular media instinctively tells me he is not getting fair treatment. People talk of coverup. Did he purposefully hide the truth from people who needed to know it or did he just not publicly advertise?

From what I understand his main offense was to re-assign priests who had been convicted of sexual misconduct, rather than remove them from ministry. I don’t have any details, so I don’t even know how true that is.

He mis-handled problems with sexually abusive priests in his diocese. No one has ever accused him of this sort of conduct himself. He did not do anything illegal (dumb, maybe, but not illegal).

[quote=jkdrum]What is Cardinal Law actually guilty of?

If I remember correctly it was actually him which brought to light the abuses where were happening. All you hear form people and the media is that he is a bad man destined to hell and worthy to be hated.

My question is, what did he actually do? Being Specific would help here. If he did anything illegal then it seems to me he would have been arrested. Is paying a settlement in a lawsuit a crime? My normal distrust of the popular media instinctively tells me he is not getting fair treatment. People talk of coverup. Did he purposefully hide the truth from people who needed to know it or did he just not publicly advertise?
[/quote]

I believe that he was never found guilty of anything! Otherwise he would be sitting in a jail cell somewhere.

Hello jkdrum,

I have read where Massachusetts is one of only a few states that did not have a law against knowing about active child abuse and not reporting it to civil authorities so authorities could protect the children.

I have read that Massechusetts has since changed this law. Now anyone committing similiar attrocities to Cardinal law in Massechusetts, they will go to prison for hopefully a long time.

Peace in Christ,
Steven Merten
www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.