What is Christ saying; implying here?

Christ called Himself many different things to make a moral point.

What did He mean and what are the implications of calling Himself "the door?"

I would say it’s an extension of Him calling Himself “the Way”, meaning that it is by Him that we attain eternal life in Heaven. That’s the first thing that pops out in my head.

[quote="PJM, post:1, topic:302196"]

[/quote]

A few readings that could help:

"We look to you, Door of Life" ("Urbi et Orbi" papal message)

Apostolic Letter Porta Fidei

Dogmatic Constitution Lumen Gentium

The Church is a sheepfold whose one and indispensable door is Christ.

Rite for the Opening of the Holy Door for Jubilee year

=bzkoss236;9905552]I would say it's an extension of Him calling Himself "the Way", meaning that it is by Him that we attain eternal life in Heaven. That's the first thing that pops out in my head.

OK:D

BUT what does IT MEAN?
Your asking in a differnt way; my question.

[/quote]

He's the way for man back to the Father, restoring the vital relationship between man and God that was severed at the Fall.

[/quote]

I think that since Jesus said that is "the Door" and not "a door," He is saying that He is the true doorway to eternal life and that the other "doors" (the other religious leaders of the world) are not.

It means before you can reach heaven you have to go through him. It's only knowing him and living the path that he has set for you with him can you walk through the gates of heaven. He doesn't mean a literal door he means a way. So He is the way to heaven therefore He is the door.

=fhansen;9906874]He's the way for man back to the Father, restoring the vital relationship between man and God that was severed at the Fall.

CORRECT :) BUT

Exactly how and why? Is it conditional?

God Bless,
Pat

=shoe;9906887]I think that since Jesus said that is "the Door" and not "a door," He is saying that He is the true doorway to eternal life and that the other "doors" (the other religious leaders of the world) are not.

CORRECT again :)

But Why, How? Is it conditional?

God Bless,
Pat

=anonymousdollz;9909801]It means before you can reach heaven you have to go through him. It's only knowing him and living the path that he has set for you with him can you walk through the gates of heaven. He doesn't mean a literal door he means a way. So He is the way to heaven therefore He is the door.

OK :thumbsup:

Describe "the path" of the "door":)

God Bless,
Pat/PJM

i think it has something to do with letting Christ into ones heart only i or you can let Him in.

Shalom
God Bless

[quote="PJM, post:10, topic:302196"]
OK :thumbsup:

Describe "the path" of the "door":)

God Bless,
Pat/PJM

[/quote]

It's the life Christ called us to leave. To keep his teachings alive, to love everyone and everything in His creation, to remain connected in the body of Christ, and to take care of each other. The path is a life dedicated to Christ married or not priest or nun to keep the Body of Christ working and keeping belief in God strong. Implications are ridicule by those who don't understand, sin, and those who lead us away from that life of serving Christ. Worst of all these trials are inevitable but living for Him we can avoid these trials.

[quote="PJM, post:8, topic:302196"]
CORRECT :) BUT

Exactly how and why? Is it conditional?

God Bless,
Pat

[/quote]

Well, the Lord did speak "like a door" - metaphorically, of course - when He said:

No one can come to the Father except through me

And that is unconditional, indeed.

Which is why the Pope wrote in the Declaration Dominus Iesus:

Above all else, it must be firmly believed that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and baptism (cf. Mk 16:16; Jn 3:5), and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through baptism as through a door

The Church is the universal sacrament of salvation, since, united always in a mysterious way to the Saviour Jesus Christ, her Head, and subordinated to him, she has, in God's plan, an indispensable relationship with the salvation of every human being.

For those who are not formally and visibly members of the Church, salvation in Christ is accessible by virtue of a grace which, while having a mysterious relationship to the Church, does not make them formally part of the Church, but enlightens them in a way which is accommodated to their spiritual and material situation. This grace comes from Christ

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.