What is Christian?

I was reading this track and it said

They’re Jehovah’s Witnesses (JWs), part of a non-Christian religion.

I was shocked. I had always thought of Jehovah’s Witnesses as Christians. Just so I know, what is the critieria that Catholic Answers uses to determine who is Christian and who isn’t? Thanks and God bless.

A Christian is a follower and believer of Jesus Christ as the Messiah, foretold in the Old Testament. He was born to save people from their sins. To be a Christian, he must be baptized, In the Name of the Father, And of the Son, and Of the Holy Spirit. He is called to repentence and follows all the commandments of God.

A Christian is recognized by his concern for the less fortunate people like the poor.

Yes. A Christian is someone who is baptized and who professes belief in the Trinity and in Christ.

If I recall correctly, Jehovah’s Witnesses do not believe that Christ is truly God.

**What did Jesus say about who will be his followers?

Luke 9:23
And (Jesus) was saying to them all, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me.**

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.