What is ChristianArt.Today?

Our mission is simple: Art and Christianity no longer resonate as an inherent, magnificent pairing. . Our offering is simple: one newsletter a day where we simply send you the Gospel reading of the day, alongside a work of art that we believe is poignant, reflective and appropriate to that reading. We don’t offer any reflections on the Gospel reading, but we do so on the artwork. We simply give you the tools for you to meditate on the daily Gospel alongside a work of art. We are an apostolate within the Roman Catholic Church, based in London.

https://www.christianart.today/todays-reading.php

7 Likes

This is excellent! Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

(And welcome back. We missed you and your frequent contributions.)

3 Likes

That first piece of art wasn’t much to look at.

2 Likes

Even so, the commentator has something good to say about it.

I like that they comment on the art, not the Gospel reading directly. There already exist many biblical commentaries and study resources. This one offers something new by showing how the Gospel is interpreted and applied to life in art.

1 Like

Build your house on rock

https://www.christianart.today/todays-reading.php

3 Likes

The commentary was even worse!

Digital art leaves me cold.

That was much better.

1 Like

I’m thinking of ordering the one of the wolf in sheep’s clothing for the hallway . :wink:

1 Like

It will look the same no matter how many times you look at it.

1 Like

Understood. If you prefer hand-drawn… :grinning:

4 Likes

I have found my sheep that was lost

2 Likes

Oh yeah, way to make the bird out to be the bad guy. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

:thinking:

No, the bird did well. The circling birds of prey led the shepherd to the lost sheep.

We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28

3 Likes

I maintain that the bird, like the wolf, is perfectly fulfilling the will of their Heavenly Father. Indeed, the bird portrayed looks more like artistic renditions of the Holy Spirit than a bird of prey. And with that said, the bird of prey in question appears to be a Griffin’s Vulture (the artist probably would have been familiar with them) which are carrion eaters and don’t actually prey on live animals.

Today is a good one.

1 Like

Dear Rob,

Thanks for posting this. I looked up the founder Patrick van der Vorst and found this summary:

After 14 years at Sotheby’s and building up ValueMyStuff for 8 years, I have now sold the business in October 2018. I recently launched www.ChristianArt.today, where I send out daily emails featuring a work of art alongside the Daily Gospel reading. Please go to the website to subscribe for free, hope you will enjoy… All this in preparation for the next chapter in life about to start later this year…

A longer article can be read HERE

I liked his intro to his Mission and the fact that he was very clear in stating:

We are an apostolate within the Roman Catholic Church, based in London.

I wondered if he wrote the reflections or if he has a team of writers. Certainly having worked at Sotheby’s for 31 years, he must have seen many artworks and definitely he has an eye for beauty. I’ve appreciated the artwork I had time to looked – I only had time to read one reflection but it was ok – I might have expressed some things differintly but I realize he may want “cast a wide net” . Thanks again for posting this website. I’ll pass it on to some friends. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A great work of art with an insightful essay today.

2 Likes

Foxes have holes

2 Likes

Dear Rob,

Sorry to say, both the art and reflection disappointed me today. If Jesus chose to use the word “fox” in describing Herod, sayng “Go tell that fox…” (Luke 13:32) I do not think the artwork was well-chosen for today’s Gospel nor was the reflection.

There are so many more beautiful examples of Sacred Art that can be chosen – again, I’m wondering who writes the reflections and who chooses the artwork? I may ask the founder of this site. If I do and get an answer, I’ll let you know. I still think it is a good attempt at encouraging people to hear the Word of God, through Art and reflection, but it is more a matter of “** PRAYERFUL LISTENING to the HOLY SPIRIT with the ears of the heart**” than simply looking with natural eyes and believing in our own “imaginings or interpretations” it seems to me.

Faith comes through hearing and hearing through the Word of God.

I agree, MariaChristi. Sometimes art can be and ought to be ugly. In this case, the art just seems to be ugly.

1 Like

So many of you have high expectations and are quick to express your disappointment. Might I suggest looking for the good in each work and its accompanying commentary, and if you find none, offer it up silently.

I, for one, enjoy and get something out of today’s art and commentary. Sure, I can find fault with both, but paradoxically I find those “faults” thought-provoking and somehow satisfying, as I might enjoy a garden salad with bitter greens, or a good pint of ale, or both!

:beer::yum::green_salad:

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.