What is Church teaching on how God is involved in pregnancy?

I’m trying to figure out if God could withhold pregnancy from couples in situations that would just end in abortion. Why send a potential child into that situation in the first place, if indeed God does that?

God gives us free will.

Pregnancy is a matter of biology. God gives each child a soul, the couple creates the child through a biological act of intercourse. Natural consequences result.

Getting pregnant isn’t a necessary result of having sex. You can’t will yourself pregnant, especially if you don’t want to be. So I’m having trouble understanding how free will would be violated in this situation if God withheld or prevented pregnancy.

What would happen if God withheld the soul from pregnancies that were going to end in abortion?

We must not forget that life is not only here on earth. Its only a moment with the life we will have in heaven. the babies that get abouted or die young is not lost at all and will have happness with God forever.

There are no potential children, only children with potential - the life created is a human life, exactly as it is supposed to be at whatever stage of development it’s at, whether zygote, embryo, fetus, infant, teenager, or senior citizen.

Can God ‘withhold’ pregnancy? Sure. Not every sexual act results in pregnancy, does it? But, does God withhold pregnancy from couples that would end in abortion? Uh, yeah… abortion exists, doesn’t it? God permits everything to occur - He’s God after all. The evil of abortion is permitted (note - permitted, not caused) by God to bring about a greater good. We have no idea what that greater good might be, or how it will work out, but as faithful Catholics, we must believe that God is bringing about a greater good by permitting millions of children to die the most horrible deaths imaginable.

But that doesn’t mean we have to lie down and let it happen. If Catholics just let evil happen, there would never be any saints. We are all called to be saints, and I suspect more children have been allowed to live through the intercession and inspiration of God’s saints than through anything we currently on earth have, can, or will ever do.

I just wanted to stop by and say how ~beautiful~ that thought is <3 =)

Thank you for sharing it =D

:thumbsup:
I remember the first time it really hit me that the only reason I existed was because God thought about it and decided He desired me to be/exist.

And, of course, the same is true for every other single person who was, is, or will be conceived. It is something I have to keep in mind in my relations with others. That is, whatever I think, say or do towards another, I’m doing to someone that God desires to exist.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.