What is church's thoughts on Jephet sacraficing his daughter in Judges 11-12?

Judges 11 or 12 where Jephet came back from a battle and promised to sacrifice the first thing he saw and he saw his daughter and did sacrifice her and it really looks like a life and death sacrifice( cross referencing different Bibles) Some feel it is dedicating her to the Temple like a nun. What do we teach ?
Thank you
God’s blessing for the New Year
Alice

Judges 11:30-31, 34-35, 39-40

Jephthah made a vow to the LORD. “If you deliver the Ammonites into my power,” he said, “whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me when I return from the Ammonites in peace shall belong to the LORD. I shall offer him up as a burnt offering.”

When Jephthah returned to his house in Mizpah, it was his daughter who came out to meet him, with tambourine-playing and dancing. She was his only child: he had neither son nor daughter besides her. When he saw her, he tore his garments and said, “Ah, my daughter! You have struck me down and brought calamity upon me. For I have made a vow to the LORD and I cannot take it back.”

At the end of the two months she returned to her father, and he did to her as he had vowed. She had not had relations with any man.

It became a custom in Israel for Israelite women to go yearly to mourn the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite for four days of the year.

The earliest commentaries on this story take it at face value: Jephthah offered his daughter as a human sacrifice.

It wasn’t until the Middle Ages that commentators took the view that his daughter was sent to seclusion. They argued that the translation should read: “whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me when I return from the Ammonites in peace shall belong to the LORD or I shall offer him up as a burnt offering.”
These commentators were basically shocked and appalled by the human sacrifice. Yet while we also are shocked and appalled by it, such does not render it impossible to have happened. The Israelites had occasionally fallen into the pagan practice of child sacrifice ( 1 Kings 14:24.; 2 Kings, 21:6-9; 2 Chronicles 16:3).

The fact that it was not until the Middle Ages that the seclusion interpretation/translation came about would mean that ancient Jewish commentators misunderstood their own language. And, if the story is to be understood as the daughter being a consecrated virgin it makes little sense that Israelite women would mourn her yearly.

Jewish tradition generally considered Jephthah to be an ignorant and arrogant man. The entire generation is also considered in the same vein, under Jewish law such a rash and immoral vow could have been annulled yet no one argues for this. Jewish commentators also noted that the Bible says that “worthless men had joined company with him.” They viewed this to essentially mean our modern expression “birds of a feather flock together.”

This story was generally seen as a warning against rash vows to God. The absence of judgment in the text would seem to imply that neither the author nor God were pleased with the sacrifice. It is recorded in a matter of fact manner and includes no laudatory phrasing.

The Book of Judges (and much of the Old Testament) portrays a pattern of disobedience to the Covenant with God and its consequences. Jephthah’s story is a reminder of how we can spin out of control when we stray from the path of God. We become desperate for things to be right again and we can make rash decisions that only exacerbate our predicament.

John Chrysostom’s Homily 14 on the Statues:

For if after that vow and promise He had forbidden the sacrifice, many also who were subsequent to Jephthah, in the expectation that God would not receive their vows, would have increased the number of such vows, and proceeding on their way would have fallen into child-murder. But now, by suffering this vow to be actually fulfilled, He put a stop to all such cases in future. And to show that this is true, after Jephthah’s daughter had been slain, in order that the calamity might be always remembered, and that her fate might not be consigned to oblivion, it became a law among the Jews, that the virgins assembling at the same season should bewail during forty days the sacrifice which had taken place; in order that renewing the memory of it by lamentation, they should make all men wiser for the future; and that they might learn that it was not after the mind of God that this should be done, for in that case He would not have permitted the virgins to bewail and lament her.

St. Ambrose’s interpretation::

It is also sometimes contrary to duty to fulfill a promise, or to keep an oath… And what shall I say of Jephthah, who offered up his daughter in sacrifice… whereby he fulfilled the vow which he had made… It would have been better to make no promise at all, than to fulfill it in the death of his daughter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.