What is considered necessary to believe in RC?

I’m having a hard time phrasing my question, so forgive me. :blush: What I’m confused about is the idea of infallibly proclaimed doctrines, and then other dogma and doctrines that are not from the pope, but still expected to be believed.

For instance, the Pope declared that the IC and infallibility of the Pope were to be believed infallibly. However, there are many other doctrines- Mary ever-virgin, Mediatrix, faith and works together, the Assumption, confession, etc, which have not been infallibly declared (right?) :confused: and yet the RC must believe them, I think? :shrug:

Also, there is the fact that some of these doctrines were very much fought against, especially the IC and Papal infallibility. If this was just a proclamation of what always was, why such strong offense taken at the councils?

oneseeker

If the Church is truly what she claims, then why would anybody even ask your question? Why would anybody want to know the Minimum Possible Catholicism? That’s like wanting the Minimum Possible Scripture. It seems only a person who does not believe the Church is what she claims to be would even ask this question.

As to the IC and Papal Infallibility, I don’t know the situation with IC, but with PI my reading says that the only arguments were about the necessity of the declaration, not about the truth of the doctrine. You (or somebody you’ve been reading) may be exaggerating the “very much fought against” theme.

QUOTE=VociMike;3754167]If the Church is truly what she claims, then why would anybody even ask your question? Why would anybody want to know the Minimum Possible Catholicism? That’s like wanting the Minimum Possible Scripture. It seems only a person who does not believe the Church is what she claims to be would even ask this question

Just a tad snarky, aren’t we? :rolleyes: After all, in my post, I specifically said I was having trouble phrasing my question. I am trying to work out what I believe. It’s just that there seem to be things that are not infallibly declared that are still considered part of the deposit of faith, and others that are simply part of private devotion/choice (saying the rosary, eucharistic devotion).

If you are offended by my choice of words, then don’t read them. You serve only to drive people away with your attitude. :mad:

oneseeker

I began my walk to Rome by researching in the encyclopedia: the history of Christianity. Read St. Augustine’s Confessions. Maybe I didn’t do it right, but I went back to the Church Fathers, Doctors of the Church, Saints, etc. St. Francis was a stretch at 1,200 AD.

Also scoured the Catechism. Not idle reading or reading for information. Think devotional and contemplative reading whatever that is.

A couple months later, I read encyclicals. Pope John Paul II’s on the Eucharist comes to mind, and there were others.

Then there’s the life stuff. Things that when we post them or tell someone they can chalk it up to be credulous, naive, or just being a plain old simpleton. Miracles happened.

Testimonies, history, and miraculous works won the day for me coupled with the torment of cutting myself off from God for so long.

I also asked God to help my unbelief.

My faith grew. A gift from God.

The Immaculate Conception, Assumption, Mary Ever-Virgin, Mary the Mother of God, Infallibility of the Pope, Confession being one of the Seven Sacraments instituted by Christ, etc. are all infallible Doctrines and a few are Dogmas.

Infallible Doctrine or Dogma can be proclaimed by the Pope or by the Church in union with the Pope in a Council. Not all the Bishops in a Council will necessarily agree with the majority. A for instance would be Nicaea. There were 250 Bishops, of them 30 were Arian and refused to sign the Creed. So there is only 220 who signed the Creed and other canons. Just because it was not 100% of the Council Bishops in agreement, does not mean that Christ being of the same substance of the Father in His Divinity, is not a Doctrine of the Church.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.