What is created grace?

I was browsing through a protestant forum and I saw a comment by an Eastern Orthodox Catholic. He said that one of the reasons for the great schism was that Roman Catholic beleive in “created grace.”

Can anyone explain this to me?

I am not sure what he means. But if he is referring to sanctifying grace, the old Baltimore Catechism called it “a created sharing in God’s life.”

The reason for the word “created” is to avoid a kind of pantheism. God is simple and indivisible. He cannot snip off pieces of Himself as “grace” to put it in our souls. So grace is created by Him even though it constitutes for us a sharing in the Divine life.

[quote=JimG]I am not sure what he means. But if he is referring to sanctifying grace, the old Baltimore Catechism called it “a created sharing in God’s life.”

The reason for the word “created” is to avoid a kind of pantheism. God is simple and indivisible. He cannot snip off pieces of Himself as “grace” to put it in our souls. So grace is created by Him even though it constitutes for us a sharing in the Divine life.
[/quote]

OK Thanks. That helps a little.

Maybe someone out there could recommend books or links that show a comparitive view of both sides of the argument.

It makes sense that God creates grace to sactify us but where do the Orthodox people say it comes from?

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.