What is different about the NWT bible?

What is different about the New World Translation bible?

Is it just the same as a catholic bible with the word Lord changed to Jehovah or is there other differences?

The NWT is a seriously flawed translation that has altered numerous verses in order to cover up some theological problems unique to Jehovah’s Witnesses.

One of the most obvious examples of this is from John 1:

John 1 New International Version (NIV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The NWT reads: “and the Word was a god” because JW’s deny the divinity of Jesus.

More here:

catholic.com/quickquestions/what-can-you-tell-me-about-the-new-world-translation

catholic.com/blog/tim-staples/the-jehovahs-witness-new-testament

They changed the word worship to do obeisance with regard to Jesus.

*After Jesus had been born in Beth′le·hem of Ju·de′a in the days of Herod the king, look! astrologers from the East came to Jerusalem, saying: “Where is the one born king of the Jews? For we saw his star when we were in the East, and we have come to do obeisance to him. *

I don’t even like posting it.

-Tim-

Here’s Colossians 1:15-18 in the NWT, 2013 revision:

“He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; 16 because by means of him all other things were created in the heavens and on the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All other things have been created through him and for him. 17 Also, he is before all other things, and by means of him all other things were made to exist, 18 and he is the head of the body, the congregation.”

Notice the insertion of the word “other” multiple times, implying that Jesus is one of creation, and the other creations were ‘created by means of him’. None of these “others” in this passage is found in the Greek. Prior to the 2013 Revision, they were enclosed in brackets, signifying that they were added in by the translators. However, the brackets were removed from the text in the revision, telling the uninformed reader that “other” is what Paul wrote.

There are so many more changes, but this is one of the most annoying to me, especially since the loss of the brackets.

Lots of differences

As mentioned “obeisance” when pertaining to Jesus, “worship” when pertaining to God.

“impale” instead of “crucify”
“stake” instead of “cross”
“I have been” instead of “I AM”

The knock has always been that the “translators” took the King James version and changed whatever did not fit their beliefs.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.