What is Epiphany?

Tomorrow is the Mass of Epiphany. I will be attending in the morning. Can you tell me what Epiphany is i don’t really understand it’s meaning.

For Western Christians, Epiphany is the commemoration of the visit of the Magi to the Infant Christ; for Eastern Christians, Epiphany is the commemoration of the Baptism of Jesus.

Being a Byzantine Catholic, we celebrated the Epiphany today at our evening Divine Liturgy and will tomorrow. We celebrate the Baptism Of Jesus and our priest blesses the Holy water and then blesses the church and the congregation. Then when Mass is ending the priest blesses each one and says "Christ was baptised" and we respond "in the Jordan". We can then fill our bottles brought from home with the newly blessed Holy water to be used Sacramentally.

I have read that the Greek word Epiphaneia means “manifestation” or “appearance”. How does that meaning correspond to the Magi or the Baptism?

From my understanding, and from what I’ve read, the visit of the Magi to the Infant Christ shows the manifestation of God in human flesh, and the Baptism of Jesus shows the manifestation of Jesus as the Son of God.

In the Eastern Rite, this is the tropar that is sung. (There are other variations...)

At Your baptism in the Jordan O Christ
The worship due to the Trinity was made manifest
For the voice of the Father bore You witness by calling you 'Beloved Son'
and the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove
confirmed the immutability of this declaration
O Christ God who came forth and filled the world with light
Glory be to You!

The Holy Trinity was made manifest to the world!

Future baptisms by the Church was done with the form "In the name of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit". John the baptist could not give this baptism, which is why he said he baptizes with water, but the One coming after him would baptize with the Holy Spirit and with fire!

[quote="tritcher1988, post:4, topic:310475"]
I have read that the Greek word Epiphaneia means "manifestation" or "appearance". How does that meaning correspond to the Magi or the Baptism?

[/quote]

What I was always told as an Anglican was that Epiphany celebrates the manifestation or appearance of Jesus to the Gentiles, the first of these being the Magi.

You will find more information here:
The Epiphany of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Th[size=2]e i[size=2]ntro:[/size][/size]

Introduction to the Epiphany of Our Lord:

The Feast of the Epiphany of Our Lord Jesus Christ is one of the oldest Christian feasts, though, throughout the centuries, it has celebrated a variety of things. Epiphany comes from a Greek verb meaning "to reveal," and all of the various events celebrated by the Feast of the Epiphany are revelations of Christ to man.

This is just way too cool and more than mind-boggling.

Thank you

Merry Christmas
God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.