What is faith and morals

I have heard the pope and church councils are only infallible when related to faith and morals but not other matters.

So my question is what is faith defined and morals defined?

would anything that would cause a person to believe or not believe in the church or bible/jesus count as part of faith?

thanks.

Faith means things we believe. Morals mean understanding right/wrong.

Facts are not matters of faith or morals in this sense, even though most of the “facts” we accept are based on faith, not in personal experience. I believe in Switzerland, but I have never been there.

would anything that would cause a person to believe or not believe in the church or bible/jesus count as part of faith?

It depends on what it is. We can have faith in our belief in the Trinity. Others see the Trinity as a philosophical or scientific impossibility. The Church’s teaching about the Trinity is a matter of faith, but contrary scientific or philosophical principles are not.

In my humble opinion,
Faith is based on Divine Revelation. Faith is based on the teachings of Jesus Christ
which are recorded in Holy Scripture. Faith is our free choice to accept doctrines regarding God and God’s interaction with His beloved human creatures. In summary, faith is based in the spiritual world of our Creator and the fact that human nature in the image of God.

In my humble opinion,
Morals are guidelines for human actions in our normal physical/material world. The prime example of moral guidelines are the Ten Commandments. Moral actions lead us to heaven. Morals are based on Divine Revelation and the teachings of Jesus Christ. In summary, morals are our obedience to God.

I am sure that there is a more precise definition for faith and morals somewhere. :wink:

Regarding the question
Would anything that would cause a person to believe or not believe in the church or bible/Jesus count as part of faith? In my humble opinion, not necessarily. “Anything” is too broad a description.

Faith is the virtue by which we believe what God has revealed solely on the authority of God who reveals. Since they can’t be known in other ways, they are necessary for salvation, and God has entrusted them to the Church, the Church must infallibly hand them on.

Morals relate to our conduct and are not necessarily strictly revealed. They may be contained in revelation, but they can also be known by reason. However, since they are necessary for salvation, and original sin can cause man to have difficulty reasoning them out, the Church also teaches them infallibly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.