What is Faith...

So I have been posed this question (or statement of fact however you look at it) and never realized that catholics and protestants see Faith differently. See below:

Found in THIS thread.

Thanx for the quote Palladio… :wink:

Hello,

Let me define what the Catholic Church teaches is Faith:

From the Catechism:

1814 Faith is the theological virtue by which we believe in God and believe all that He has said and revealed to us, and that Holy Church proposes for our belief, because He is truth itself. By faith “man freely commits his entire self to God.”(DV 5.) For this reason the believer seeks to know and do God’s will. “The righteous shall live by faith.” Living faith “work(s) through charity.”(⇒ Rom 1:17; ⇒ Gal 5:6.)

In order to have the fullness of authentic Faith, one must believe all that He has revealed to us and that Holy Church proposes for our belief. Non-Catholics do not assent to the teaching of the Church and thus do not fulfill this requirement.

Hello,

It would be good to know how Protestants define Faith. And also how do they define two other very common assertions:

belief in Jesus

accepting Jesus as personal Lord and Savior.

Hello,

It should also be noted that just because Catholics have the fullness of Truth, doesn’t mean Catholics always act on it. Many Protestants do more with less than we Catholics do with the fullness - and that is pure scandal.

As Christ said: “unto whomsoever much is given, of him much shall be required” (Luke 12:48)

Individual people of any denomination or religion may or may not have faith in whatever it is they claim to have faith in. This is why I had to choose other.

Faith is a strong belief in something for which there is no proof. If proof exists, then Faith becomes Truth.

Anyone who believes in any religion has Faith.

:thumbsup:

Faith: the ability to treat a proposition as true in the absence of conclusive logical proof.

Technically any proposition not self-evident requires faith to be accepted, and as the proofs get weaker more faith is required. Proof by authority (I will treat this is true because I trust the person I heard it from) is the weakest, being all faith. Then comes proof by preponderence of the evidence (most of the signs point to this being true), where you must have faith you have all the evidence and are interpreting correctly. Then comes proof by syllogism, the only faith involved being that you trust you reasoned right. Finally there’s self-evidential proof: the opposite cannot be thought, as that water is wet.

As others have said Faith is something we have not seen

We all have Faith in Christ

We just arrive at it, in different ways.

Faith is not a set of beliefs or dogma, it is a way of ordering one’s life…faith is trusting in the love and mercy of God…faith is believing that God has everything under control. Faith is living in such a way that this belief is lived out in the daily of life.

Life circumstances do not dictate our view of life…He has it under control…though we cannot “see” beyond the hurt and despair we may be facing…He is still there.

Faith is best defined in a single verse in the book of Job…“Though He slay me, still will I hope (trust) in Him.” Job 13:15.

God does for us what we cannot do for ourselves…He sustains us even when our lives are the darkest. In the very midst of doubt and despair, He is a contstant…I had a friend who use to speak of his “dry moments”, when it felt as though his prayers went no further than the ceiling…he said one day in the Silence of Worship, in the midst of his despair a single verse came to him from the Psalms…91:1 that brought him peace, in those moments when life is bleak and dark in shadow it’s not becasue God has moved away…it’s because He has moved so near us we are in His shadow…that is faith.

All religions have faith, otherwise why would the person beliecve and defend it?

From the First Vatican Council (a *great *study on this topic):

1. This faith, which is the beginning of human salvation, the Catholic Church professes to be a supernatural virtue, by means of which, with the grace of God inspiring and assisting us, we believe to be true what He has revealed, not because we perceive its intrinsic truth by the natural light of reason, but because of the authority of God himself, who makes the revelation and can neither deceive nor be deceived.

Heb. 11:1
"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for and being certain of what we do not see."

pretty good definition i think. everyone belives in something (whether that belief is believing nothing more exists). faith on the other hand, i think, has an inherent quality of acting on it. if there is no action based upon that faith, then there is no faith. one can say they believe, but belief requires no action.

James:
“you believe there is one God… GOOD, even the demons believe that and tremble.”

everyone believes something, it becomes faith when our lives begin to be consumed by it and our actions begin to reflect it. this is a “living faith” (i hate that term… it’s either faith or not) and this is the faith that opens us up for God to impart His saving grace on us.

:thumbsup:

To acknowledge that not only may your belief be incorrect, but that your neighbor’s belief may be more correct. And to follow your belief anyway.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.