What is God's favorite sports team?

Just how does this work? I would bet all sports teams pray to win, or at least play well. If they tried their best and still lose have they still won in God’s eyes? Can you explain this?

JMJ :hmmm:
SFX

The interest that religion has in sports is that it is a human endeavor that has the possibility of inculcating virtue. Part of being a good sportsman is to be a humble winner and a graceful loser. If an athlete has worked to the best of his ability to excel in his chosen sport and has worked to the best of his ability to learn the virtues of humility and gratitude, he has met his obligations and may take satisfaction in a job well done.

Paul uses sports as a metaphor for the journey to God:

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing (2 Tim. 4:7-8).

An athlete who performs well in his chosen sport, whether he wins or loses, can consider his effort a “trial run” for the day when his performance will be judged by God.

So, does God help one team win over another? While we don’t exactly know, we do know that grace is usually given for supernatural ends. If one team would grow in virtue by winning and the opposing team would grow in virtue by losing, perhaps grace might tip the scales in an evenly-contested match. Usually though, games are decided by the natural skills or lack thereof of the respective teams.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.