What is God's purpose in man?

Last Friday, two JW’s were visiting. They asked me to ponder God’s purpose in man. I understand what they are trying to say but I lack the eloquence to present the Catholic answer to this question. They will be returning this Friday. Could you please help? Thank you.

If the question by your Jehovah’s Witness inquirers is a clumsily-worded version of “Why did God make man?” here is the answer given by the Baltimore Catechism:

God made me to know him, to love him, and to serve him in this world, and to be happy with him forever in heaven.

If you are having trouble discussing your faith with JWs, I strongly suggest that you discontinue their visits. Jehovah’s Witnesses have been well-trained to “sell” their religion door-to-door. If you do not have a strong formation in your own faith, you should avoid the missionary doorbell-ringers entirely until you have become knowledgeable enough in your faith and in their religion to answer their challenges confidently and precisely.

When they come to the door next, I recommend smiling politely and saying, “Thank you for coming but I am no longer interested in discussing religion with you,” and shutting the door.

**Recommended reading:

Non-Catholic Groups** (scroll to links on the Jehovah’s Witnesses)
How to Become a Jehovah’s Witness by Kenneth Guindon (a former JW)
Answering Jehovah’s Witnesses by Jason Evert

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.