WHAT is God's Will?

Now I know people say that God’s Will is that we stay away from evil. Sure, that’s right.

But I’m talking about what is God’s Will for me, you? Meaning, is it God’s Will that I get married, single, etc. To do this, that, etc.?

I’m struggling on what is God’s Will for me meaning what He wants me to do in this lifetime.

Any suggestions? Maybe I need to just finish college then we’ll see, eh?

Here is my favorite prayer. I made it up, so it may be worded oddly:

“O Lord, let me recognize your will, and give me the strength to follow it

Different parts of it strike me at different times, but it’s one of my favorites. It’s hard to discern God’s will in our lives. A good spiritual director can really help, I’ve heard.

How about the serenity prayer?
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change
the courage to change the things I can
and the wisdom to know the difference.

We don’t always know God’s will for us but I always believe that his plan is much better than any plans I can make for myself. I have seen what a mess of things I make when I don’t submit my will to his plan for me. Think about it though, isn’t this the result of original sin? Because Adam and eve did not trust in God fully, the nature of man has become to struggle with our will over that of the father.

God’s will is that every soul He created return home to Him to live in eternal glory.

[quote=Paris Blues]Now I know people say that God’s Will is that we stay away from evil. Sure, that’s right.

But I’m talking about what is God’s Will for me, you? Meaning, is it God’s Will that I get married, single, etc. To do this, that, etc.?

I’m struggling on what is God’s Will for me meaning what He wants me to do in this lifetime.

Any suggestions? Maybe I need to just finish college then we’ll see, eh?
[/quote]

Paris,
I struggle at times with this as well. When I do, I generally just pray that God will show me His will and give me the courage to do it. Many times I don’t think I get an answer, but I know God is pushing me where He wants me to go. I like these words from a Chris Rice song called “Smell the Color 9”. He says “Oh I’ve never felt the calling, but somehow you’ve led me right here”. I have to believe God has led me to this place I am at and that He will guide me to where He wants me to go next.

And sometimes, especially for vocations, one just needs to jump and start the education process specifically for vocations.

As time proceeds, one then can understand more clearly if God really is calling them to Holy Orders.

That is one of the reasons why a person isn’t asked to take vows the minute they hook up with a group of priests or nuns. They have to take time to discern if this is really God’s will.

God Bless,
Maria

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.