What is Heaven like?

Does the Bible give any description of Heaven? If not, do any Church-Approved sources give insight into it?

Best to read the catechism, as all else is either private revelation, or guesswork. There are 80 paragraphs which touch on the subject of heaven, either directly or indirectly.

+**What a marvelous subject to explore! ** And Sacred :bible1: Scripture gives us an abundance of “glimpses” of the heavenly kingdom . . . the most wonderful of which is that . . . Jesus . . . our wonderful . . . **LORD **. . . dwells there . . . with . . . **God our Father **. . . and . . . **God the Holy Spirit **. . .

:bible1:
And the
LORD
Jesus,

after He had spoken to them,
was taken up into
**heaven, **
and sitteth on the right hand of
God.
- Mark 16:19

One of the more concentrated sections of :bible1: Scripture regarding heaven is found in Revelation . . . where the holy city of the NEW Jerusalem is revealed as being created in heaven in exquisite beauty and purity . . . and having a . . . “multitude of colors” . . . “gates” . . . 'streets" . . . “a wall” . . . “written words” . . . “pearls” . . . “precise measurements” . . . “light” . . . “angels” . . . “directions: north, south, east & west” . . . “names” . . . “the glory of God” . . . “there shall be no night there” . . .
[INDENT]. . . :compcoff: . . .
"And there came one of the seven angels, who had the vials full of the seven last plagues, and spoke with me, saying: Come, and I will shew thee the bride, the wife of the Lamb. [10] And he took me up in spirit to a great and high mountain: and he shewed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God,

[11] Having the glory of God, and the **light **thereof was like to a precious stone, as to the jasper stone, even as crystal. [12] And it had a wall great and high, having twelve gates, and in the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel. [13] On the east, three gates: and on the north, three gates: and on the south, three gates: and on the west, three gates. [14] And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them, the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. [15] And he that spoke with me, had a measure of a reed of gold, to measure the city and the gates thereof, and the wall.

[16] And the city lieth in a foursquare, and the length thereof is as great as the breadth: and he measured the city with the golden reed for twelve thousand furlongs, and the length and the height and the breadth thereof are equal. [17] And he measured the wall thereof an hundred and forty-four cubits, the measure of a man, which is of an angel. [18] And the building of the wall thereof was of jasper stone: but the city itself pure gold, like to clear glass. [19] And the foundations of the wall of the city were adorned with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper: the second, sapphire: the third, a chalcedony: the fourth, an emerald: [20] The fifth, sardonyx: the sixth, sardius: the seventh, chrysolite: the eighth, beryl: the ninth, a topaz: the tenth, a chrysoprasus: the eleventh, a jacinth: the twelfth, an amethyst.

[21] And the twelve gates are twelve pearls, one to each: and every several gate was of one several pearl. And the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass. [22] And I saw no temple therein. For the Lord God Almighty is the temple thereof, and the Lamb. [23] And the city hath no need of the sun, nor of the moon, to shine in it. For the glory of God hath enlightened it, and the Lamb is the lamp thereof. [24] And the nations shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth shall bring their glory and honour into it. [25] And the gates thereof shall not be shut by day: for there shall be no night there." - Revelation 21:9b-25[/INDENT]
We also know from Sacred :bible1: Scripture that there are . . . “horses” . . . in heaven . . . “clothing” . . . “fabric: linen” . . .

[INDENT]"And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and He that sat upon him was called faithful and true, and with justice doth He judge and fight. … And the armies that are in heaven followed Him on white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. - Revelation 19:11 & 14
[/INDENT]

The extraordinary Blessed St. Paul reveals to us that there are . . . “levels” . . . there . . .

[INDENT]I know a man in Christ above fourteen years ago (whether in the body, I know not, or out of the body, I know not; God knoweth), such a one caught up to the third heaven.* - 2 Corinthians 12:2*
[/INDENT]
*[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank you Blessed St. Jerome+
. . . **Sweet Spirit of our Holy God *guide and teach us+
:gopray2:[/RIGHT]

When reading your question, this passage from 1 Corinthians came to mind:

“But, as it is written: That eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither hath it entered into the heart of man, what things God hath prepared for them that love him. But to us God hath revealed them, by this Spirit. For the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.”

God has revealed some of what His Heavenly Kingdom will be like for us if we know, love, and serve Him through the Catholic Faith. However, much of it is unfathomable to us as human beings, because it contains so much infinite love, peace, and grace that we cannot even begin to imagine what it will be like.

May God bless you all! :slight_smile:

The earth will be renewed.

I think there was also a verse that said there would be no large bodies of water in the new heaven, but I think that may have been referring to the new earth, which Im not sure is any different from heaven…?

There were some interesting things about this in those verses about the new heaven, the 1400 mile ‘cube’ so to speak.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.