what is high mass

What is high mass? is it the same as Tridentine mass?

[quote="sami1066, post:1, topic:280514"]

[/quote]

Oh and what is low mass

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Mass

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Mass

Wikipedia is the source for Catholic answers???:eek:
Anyway where I grew up high mass was the main Sunday Mass that most people went to. i.e. not too early.
And to show my age-- there was no Saturday Mass. That was strictly for confession.:smiley:

[quote="sami1066, post:1, topic:280514"]

[/quote]

[quote="sami1066, post:2, topic:280514"]
Oh and what is low mass

[/quote]

High Mass and Low Mass referred to the ways the Mass was celebrated in the past. The distinctions no longer exist after the 1970 reform of the Missal.

High Mass is celebrated with a choir and almost all the priest's parts are sung/chanted, as were all the Ordinaries, i.e. the Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, Agnus Dei and dismissal. Six candles are lit on the altar.

The Solemn High Mass is celebrated in the same way but with a Deacon and Subdeacon. When these two clerics are present and vested, the Subdeacon sings the epistle and the Deacon the Gospel and the dismissal.

The Low Mass is celebrated by a single priest had none of his parts are sung although hymns could be allowed. Two candles are lit during Low Mass.

From what I remember all those years ago, if you wanted Masses said/sung, the going rate for High was $5 and Low was $3. Not sure the difference in cost since labor was all volunteer in those days. Perhaps it was to cover the costs of extra candles and incense. I guess none of this has really mattered for over 40 years now.

When the information is correct, yes. One judges on the information, not the conduit.

[quote="DaveBj, post:7, topic:280514"]
When the information is correct, yes. One judges on the information, not the conduit.

[/quote]

Well, generally speaking, Wikipedia is not a reliable source/reference for Catholic answers. It has proved to be quite useful but it is not accurate, therefore for someone looking for trustworthy correct information related to the Church it is advisable to search reliable Catholic sources (e.g online: Vatican documents/archive, Catholic Encyclopedia ..)
I think it takes a knowledgeable person to tell which information is right and which is wrong, so it is safer for those looking for the right answers to look in the right places. :)
But the good thing is we are blessed here on CAF to have well informed brothers and sisters whom we can trust their citation. ;)
Peace,
Rina

From a 1963 St. Joseph Missal:

"A High Mass is sung. A Low Mass is read. A High Mass is called Solemn Mass when it is sung with the help of a Deacon and Subdeacon. A High Mass sung by a priest, without the assistance of those Sacred Ministers is known as a Missa Cantata.

Low Mass is one in which the priest, assisted by one server, recites in a speaking tone the parts that are sung in a High Mass."

Later, in 1958, the Dialogue Mass became more popular. This is where the people in the congregation were allowed to to recite responses in Latin instead of the just the altar server responding.

The term “high Mass” is rather vague. It more correctly refers to the Missa Solemnis or Solemn Mass, though it is sometimes used to mean a Missa Cantata or Sung Mass.

A low Mass is the most basic liturgy. It does not include music, sacred ministers other than the priest, or incense, and only two candles are lit on the altar.

A solemn Mass is a Mass in full ceremonial with a deacon and subdeacon assisting the priest, most parts chanted/sung, and the use of incense. Six candles are lit on the altar.

A sung Mass is the result of parishes wanting to have a solemn Mass but not being able to get the extra ministers required. Most parts of the Mass are chanted/sung, but there are no sacred ministers other than the priest. Incense may or may not be used. Four or six candles may be lit on the altar.

With the Novus Ordo, what is commonly done is sort of a variation on the sung Mass – hymns are sung along with things like the Gloria and the Sanctus et Benedictus (but, for some reason, never the Credo), but most of the Mass itself is said. Incense is not used, and the priest is often the only sacred minister, though there may be a deacon.

FWIW, the Catholic Encyclopedia that we find online dates back to 1913, even before the 1917 Code of Canon Law. While it’s a good source for doctrine, it may be less so for practices from the last 100 years. A lot of non-doctrinal stuff in the Church changed after 1910, it changed greatly in the 50s and even more so in the 60s, so I wouldn’t depend on it as a source of up-to-date information.

[quote="porthos11, post:5, topic:280514"]
High Mass and Low Mass referred to the ways the Mass was celebrated in the past. The distinctions no longer exist after the 1970 reform of the Missal.

[/quote]

The distinctions no longer exist in the ordinary form. They do exist in the extraordinary form.

[quote="Phemie, post:11, topic:280514"]
FWIW, the Catholic Encyclopedia that we find online dates back to 1913, even before the 1917 Code of Canon Law. While it's a good source for doctrine, it may be less so for practices from the last 100 years. A lot of non-doctrinal stuff in the Church changed after 1910, it changed greatly in the 50s and even more so in the 60s, so I wouldn't depend on it as a source of up-to-date information.

[/quote]

Thank you for the valuable information, Phemie. God bless you.
Peace,
Rina

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.