What is history of OSAS?

I was wondering what the theological history of the OSAS point of view was . Did this come from the reformation or before. Was it Luther, or Calvin, or who that began this belief? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The first person I know of who taught it (unless you count extremely heretical groups such as the Manichees or Cathars) was Zwingli. Luther did not. Zwingli believed that predestination was what saved you, with faith simply the consequence of predestination (i.e., if you were elect you would come to faith if you had the chance, but if you didn’t–if for instance you died in infancy or never heard the Gospel–you would be saved anyway). It followed from this that only the elect would ever have faith (since it follows on predestination). That appears to be the original form of OSAS. Bucer took up this idea and (IMHO) refined it, and both Calvin and the later Bucer tried to reconcile it with the more typically Lutheran stress on justification by faith alone (something Zwingli claimed to believe in, but obviously interpreted very differently from Luther).

Only in the 19th century did some people separate OSAS from the doctrine of predestination. Historically it’s a derivative of the Reformed stress on predestination as the cause of faith. (The traditional Augustinian Catholic position was that people who were not among the elect could believe and then fall away later, and Luther believed this as well.)

Edwin

Thank you so much!!! Very helpful.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.