What is holy hour?

The parish I am moving to has something listed as holy hour. I’ve been lapsed for a good number of years and have no idea what this is. Would someone please fill me in?

Thanks!

Adoration in front of the Blessed Sacrament exposed, usually in the monstrance.

It is adoration of the blessed sacrament generally as Chatter said it is exposed outside of the tabernacle either in a monstrance or ciborium. It can either be informally done on your own or you can sign up at some parishes to stay and adore for an hour. It is based on Matthew 26:40 "When he returned to his disciples he found them asleep. He said to Peter, “So you could not keep watch with me for one hour? "

Is it acceptable for one not eligible to receive Eucharist to attend an adoration or would this somehow taint the process? This sounds silly even to me, kind of like the old saw about the church not falling down when someone not churchy walked in.

Of course not, please go if you are interested! :slight_smile: If the church only let in people who didn’t sin, there wouldn’t be anyone there. But, if you feel so moved after going to Holy Hour (which you might) I suggest seeing out a priest for confession.

It is Jesus, present before you in His Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity. He calls sinners - that is the only qualification you need for going and spending time with him. Of all on this earth who claim that title of Christian, the Catholic Church and Catholics alone have the sublime pleasure of being able to regularly commune with our Lord during mass, as well as outside of mass at adoration/holy hour.

If you are having difficulty in coming to grips with the true presence of our Lord in the consecrated host, just ask Him to reveal His presence to you. Then, simply be as patient with our Lord as He has been with you. As Fr. Benedict Groeschel of the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal says, “When you are aware that He is there, you will be changed.”

It is the best-kept secret in all of Christianity.

The church continues to stand every Sunday when this sinner walks in, so have no worries. Adoration of the Blesses Sacrament is commonly called a Holy Hour because Jesus, in the Garden of Gethsemane said to his Apostles, “Could you not wait with me an hour?” (They fell asleep). Some churches have periodic holy hours. Others have Perpetual Adoration–24/7. People sign up for an hour or two during a week and come every week. During that time you can pray a rosary, read Scripture, real a spiritual book, or just sit and enjoy Jesus’s presence. Other Holy Hours like Nocturnal Adoration have set prayers that are said during the entire hour. Our parish has a variety of devotions that take place during a Holy Hour: The rosary or chaplet of Divine Mercy; Evening prayer; a patriotic rosary, etc.

Modern Catholic Dictionary:

HOLY HOUR. A pious devotional exercise consisting of mental and vocal prayer with exposition of the Blessed Sacrament. It draws its inspiration from Christ’s words to the Apostles in Gethsemane: “Can you not watch one hour with me?” It was taught by the Savior to St. Margaret Mary (1647-90) as one of the special practices of the Sacred Heart devotion. In the early nineteenth century a confraternity was founded at Paray-le-Monial, France, to spread the devotion, which has been highly recommended by the popes. If the hour is made publicly it is designated by a priest or the director; if made privately, any hour is suitable but preferably Thursday or Friday evening. The Passion of Christ is the theme during the hour, variously divided into meditation, vocal prayer, and singing. Many religious communities include the devotion as part of the horarium of their day.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.