What is in a mass book?

Hi , I know this sounds like a stupid question but my church has a little shop for baptisms weddings gifts etc and I saw they have a mass book it’s pocket sized and is quite thin so I was wondering what would be in a mass book like that and I can’t look in it because it’s sealed ? Thanks chuck

[quote="Chuck1, post:1, topic:291506"]
Hi , I know this sounds like a stupid question but my church has a little shop for baptisms weddings gifts etc and I saw they have a mass book it's pocket sized and is quite thin so I was wondering what would be in a mass book like that and I can't look in it because it's sealed ? Thanks chuck

[/quote]

At my First Communion I received a small White Book called "My Mass and Holy Communion Book" that had the Order of the Mass, usually the Rosary, and explanation of the Sacraments, and other Prayers. Mine has the Memorare, prayers to your Guardian Angel, 10 Commandments, an explanation of the Sacred Vessels, and other things that greatly helped my prayer life growing up.

Chuck,

By ‘Mass book’, do you mean a ‘Daily Missal’? If so, then it’s a book that contains all the readings that are read at Mass and all the prayers that are prayed at Mass. A person uses it to follow along with the Mass. In just one volume, then, a person has access to all the Masses that might be celebrated throughout the year.

I think it is unlikely that it is a Daily Missal only because he said it was thin and pocket sized.

I wish my Parish had a gift shop :frowning:

A Mass Book is probably a little diary that a priest can use to note the Mass Intentions he desires to make, as people often want a Mass said on a particular date (anniversary of the death of a loved one, etc.). It is more or less a regular diary, but it contains a special section on each day for writing the Mass intention down.

I wouldn’t think that would be sold in a church gift shop, if only because there wouldn’t be many customers for it, if it was for a priest.

I vote for a book that has the order of the Mass and some additional prayers.

It’s *possible *that it lists some information about the Sundays and Holy Days of the Church year. Prior to the revision of the Church calendar children’s missals sometimes had a page for each Sunday and Holy Day of the Church year. I don’t know if the current three year cycle would result in too many pages to make that practical.

Would it be possible to look at the book and check what it is the next time you go to the shop and simply check what it is and not try to judge the book by the cover? Although my money is still on it being a book for priests’ Mass intentions.

It was like you said . Thanks for trying everyone but the above guess is right !
I brought the book today after mass and a daily prayer book from the liturgy of the hours but the prayers seems more like mini litguical church services than prayer and it was intended for personal use , any thoughts in this ?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.