What is in incense?

I haven't been to Midnight Mass for ages and it was BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! My question is what is in the incense that is used? I like the smell of it but it aggravates my asthma and my daughters eyes where itchy and watery. Next time they use it me and my daughter will take an allergy pill. Awesome though when its used!!!! Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!!:)

[quote="TwinboysRachel2, post:1, topic:309387"]
I haven't been to Midnight Mass for ages and it was BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! My question is what is in the incense that is used? I like the smell of it but it aggravates my asthma and my daughters eyes where itchy and watery. Next time they use it me and my daughter will take an allergy pill. Awesome though when its used!!!! Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!!:)

[/quote]

It depends on the formula used. One is frankincense, and this may be combined with other resins and oils. Frankincense is the resin from Boswellia Thurifera.

Thanks Vico....I really enjoy the incense as it changes the atmosphere at church....I just wish I didn't react to it...or my daughter. thanks:)

Most incense is based on frankincense and other aromatic gums, which are made of dried sap from certain trees. Some incense also contains wood shavings which combine with oils and gum incenses to create a special scent. Incenses with wood are usually most likely to offend those with allergies or asthma. Eastern Orthodox incense is, in my estimation, the best for allergy sufferers, as it usually doesn't have wood in it. Other common gums are myrrh, solidified rose oil, and spikenard, which we used last night.

Move around. I've found that in most churches the ventilation system causes the incense to concentrate in some areas more than others. You can probably find an area where it isn't so strong.

It varies depending on the source. The Incense they use at our parish doesn't bother my asthma or allergies which are pretty sensitive. All I remember is the head sacristan said it is very natural and imported from the middle east. :shrug: it smells nice though.

I would second what Saints Alive said about trying moving to a different spot - maybe something closer to the exit where you may get more outside air? Hope you can find something that works :)

We have been using Gloria incense. One example is (Rose-lavender)
http://www.amreligiousgifts.com/images/P/41520_GloriaIncense.jpg

Gloria Incense F8

The descrpiton has: " It is specially formulated to produce a milder fragrance, in order to minimize irritation of the eyes, nose or throat. This makes it ideal for those with allergies or who are sensitive to smoke."

http://sthughofcluny.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/096.jpg

most incense don’t cause to much trouble with one exception there is a cheep incense that has wood mixed in it probably to create more smoke with less incense this usually causes the worst allergy coughing issues in a church. Most other incense don’t.

Thanks for sharing very nice information about incense. Most of the time Incense may have been used in pre-Christian to purify dwelling places and fill them with a sweet fragrance.Buy legal herbal incense online, for more information visit site..

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.