What is involved in order to renew our vows in church?

My husband and I have been married 9 1/2 years. We got married by an ordained minister and would like to renew our vows at our 10 year anniversary in a catholic church. What all is involved to do that? I am Catholic and my husband is not. He supports me in my catholic faith , he just choices not to become catholic and I am fine with it.

Hi,

If you were not a Catholic when you are your husband were married, then the Catholic Church recognizes your marriage as valid and you are welcome to renew your vows in your parish church. Just talk to your priest about the time and details.

However, if you were a Catholic and married your husband in a non-Catholic church, the Catholic Church would not recognize your marriage as valid. So you would then need to actually marry your husband in the Catholic Church. The ceremony would not be a renewal, but the actual marriage. In either instance, I am sure that your local priest will be happy to help you. If your run into problems, you can contact me by clicking on my name above.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.