What is Islam?

It would be nice to know, what Islam is?
Don’t you think that is important before comment about Islam?

[quote=shamsery]It would be nice to know, what Islam is?
[/quote]

Before we can even get to that question we need to ask who as the authority to define Islam.

[quote=Maranatha]Before we can even get to that question we need to ask who as the authority to define Islam.
[/quote]

**Oh sure, certainly I am not authority, just an ignorant student, who want to be lighted himself.
Yes, I can share my thought and experience with you, only. **

I can try to give you info only.

[quote=shamsery]It would be nice to know, what Islam is?
[/quote]

I really don’t know exactly what you’re getting at. But we’ve been through enough of these proselytization attempts under the predictable “questioning” guise here already to know one when we see it, so you can just come right out with what you were planning to say right now and save us all a lot of time.

[quote=shamsery]I can try to give you info only.
[/quote]

Hi Shams,

Welcome. I am also a newcomer here trying to learn from the Muslims what Islam is all about. Please share whatever you have.

shalom,

manx

Well, first of all in islam we have:

The five pillars of islam
1.The Shahadah; the testimony of believing in the exisitance of one God and in the belief of the final messenger and prophet of God.
2.Prayer; this is a formal ritual prayer performed five times a day to remember and praise God for the mercies in our lives.
3.Charity; all muslims have to pay mandatory charity at the end of each year, the amount is 2.1% of everything you earned that year.We are also commanded to give throughout the year but that is called shadaqa and this can range from taking in an orphan to giving a smile :slight_smile:
4.fasting; we fast in the month of ramadan so many different reason, one of them being to know what hunger feels like so that we always feel compassion towards the poor and less fortunate, to remember God’s blessings and to purify ourselves of bad habits( beacuse when you are hunger, you don’t do the same things that you would normally do and in this way whatever bad habits we had would be stopped or pointed out to us).
5. Hajji(pilgrimage); we go to the kahba, the houe of worship that was original built by Abrahan(pbuh) to worship One God.
Here is a link:sacredsites.com/middle_east/saudi_arabia/mecca.html

The six pillars(article) of faith:

1. To believe in One God
    2.To believe in the angles
    3.To believe in the messengers and prophets of God
    4.To believe in the previous holy books sent by God to the people; the torah, the injil(original bible), pslam tec.
  2. To believe in the Day of Judgement
  3. To believe in Qadr; divine will, destiny, whatever happens because of God and whatever doesn’t happen happens because of God.
    usc.edu/dept/MSA/introduction/aqeedah_alqari.html

wa salam

Fatuma,

Greetings! I have a question about pillar number four…do you really believe in the previous holy books? Or would it better be stated “To believe in the previous holy books as long as they don’t disagree with the Qur’an - If they do, they are obviously lies.”? Again, I am asking for clarification - I have seen other Muslims disrespect the Christian Holy Books (Injil) and state that “it is full of falsehoods”, so I am now asking for what is really meant by Pillar Number Four. If it actually were as simple as is written, I don’t think the other Muslims would have said such things…
I also have a question about Pillar Number Six, as to whether or not God is the source of all evil…but for now let’s stick to Pillar Four.

Shalom,
RyanL

The reason why there were so many prophets and messenger sent to people was because they kept messing up the pervious message that was sent to them. This is a mercy of God onto the people, He gave them repeated chances to come back to Him. Yes, we believe in pillar number 4, we believe that at one point in history, the injils was correct.
Pillar number 6 is something that we are to believe and try to understand but to a point, we go too much into whether people have free will or if our destinies are preordained, this is when Satan tries to put doubt in your heart. God is not the source of evil; God is the source of all that is good and pure. Evil comes from people and the forgetting of God.
whyislam.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2763&KW=qadr
I don’t understand the concepts of Satan in Christianity. In Islam Satan has no power at all. The only thing he can do is use your weakness against you and whisper into your heart to love this world and forget about God.
"There is no power or might greater than the power and might of God"
La Hawla wa la quwwat illla billah

wa salam

[quote=RyanL]Fatuma,

Greetings! I have a question about pillar number four…do you really believe in the previous holy books? Or would it better be stated “To believe in the previous holy books as long as they don’t disagree with the Qur’an - If they do, they are obviously lies.”? Again, I am asking for clarification - I have seen other Muslims disrespect the Christian Holy Books (Injil) and state that “it is full of falsehoods”, so I am now asking for what is really meant by Pillar Number Four. If it actually were as simple as is written, I don’t think the other Muslims would have said such things…
I also have a question about Pillar Number Six, as to whether or not God is the source of all evil…but for now let’s stick to Pillar Four.

Shalom,
RyanL
[/quote]

Hey Ryan…easy question.

This is where it comes from

Say ye: “we believe in Allah, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Isma’il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to (all) prophets from their Lord: We make no difference between one and another of them: And we bow to Allah (in Islam).” (Quran 2:136)

So, we believe that they recieved revelation…however God has only promised to protect and preserve the Quran…while the other scriptures have man-made additions/subtractions. SO we only follow the Quran.

This is the Book; in it is guidance sure, without doubt, to those who fear Allah (2:2)

Faith101 and Fatuma,

Thank you for your answers! I enjoy reading your posts, as they present the face of Islam as I think it should be - warm, understanding, humble, and charitable. I apologize if we do not show you two the same courtesy.

Could either of you please tell me when, exactly, the Injil was correct or when it became corrupt? I am posting a link to the dating of the Injil, so you know where to start from.
errantskeptics.org/Dating_the_NT.htm
I’m not asking for a day/month/year, but rather a general range (give or take a decade) prior to which the Injil was correct.

Shalom,
RyanL

[quote=RyanL]Faith101 and Fatuma,

Thank you for your answers! I enjoy reading your posts, as they present the face of Islam as I think it should be - warm, understanding, humble, and charitable. I apologize if we do not show you two the same courtesy.

Could either of you please tell me when, exactly, the Injil was correct or when it became corrupt? I am posting a link to the dating of the Injil, so you know where to start from.
errantskeptics.org/Dating_the_NT.htm
I’m not asking for a day/month/year, but rather a general range (give or take a decade) prior to which the Injil was correct.

Shalom,
RyanL
[/quote]

I personally dont know.

You can go to whyislam.org/forum and they may be able to answer your questions…i believe they have already answered a question regarding this topic before. Sorry i couldnt be of help

All that I know about Islam is in my heart and daily actions in life, what I am doing right now in my life is to learn more about Islam from an intellectually point of view. I don’t know the answer to your question but if I were to guess I would say right around the time people started calling Jesus (as) the son of God or God himself.

wa salam

[quote=fatuma]All that I know about Islam is in my heart and daily actions in life, what I am doing right now in my life is to learn more about Islam from an intellectually point of view. I don’t know the answer to your question but if I were to guess I would say right around the time people started calling Jesus (as) the son of God or God himself.
[/quote]

Is your contention that the Injil was written prior to it being corrupted, or was Jesus’ message corrupted prior to any writing of His deeds?

Shalom,
RyanL

It seems kind of fishy that Christ’s alleged original teaching would have been screwed up during the first few years and then that messed up version survived intact for 2000 years…:hmmm:

I don’t know.

wa salam

And how come Islam hasn’t been screwed up? How do Muslims know it hasn’t been since the message of the prophets has been screwed up every time before?

I am willing to grant that Islam hasn’t been screwed up over the centuries (i.e., the Qur’an is the same as it has been since it was first compiled in written form and all other alternate reading fragments were destroyed), but I would really like to know if Muslims think the Injil was **ever **correct…

Shalom,
RyanL

The injil was only meant for the people of that time peroid and nation. Jesus(as) was only sent to these people to bring them back to the teaching of/laws of Musa(as), the 10 commandments etc. He was only sent to that nation to bring them back to the truth anything after that is made is incorrect.

wa salam

[quote=RyanL]I am willing to grant that Islam hasn’t been screwed up over the centuries
[/quote]

But why not? Why did the messages of the other prophets get messed up so soon, but not Muhammed’s message? It just seems inconsistent.

I mean, Chrstianity must have been messed up almost immediately according to Islam since evidence from the last 2000 years shows the Church has always taught the same thing over that period.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.