What is Jan. 6th About?

Hello,

I wanted to know more about this date and celebration, can anyone help?

Thanks,

Nelson

I know what’s so special about it - It’s my BIRTHDAY!! :smiley:

Oh, and it’s also the traditional date for the Epiphany.

[quote=DaMaMaXiMuS]Hello,

I wanted to know more about this date and celebration, can anyone help?

Thanks,

Nelson
[/quote]

As stated before January 6th is the Epiphany of the Lord, where the magi (three wise men) brought their gifts to the new born King. The tradition of the western church was that it took the Magi 12 days to get from Persia to Bethlehem from when they first saw the star. Although at journey like this would probably take close to two months. In the Middle Ages Epiphany marked the end of the Christmas season, which was 12 days long, hence the song. Now Christmas has been extended to the Sunday after January 6th, on that Sunday the Baptism of the Lord is commemorated.

Here’s where the confusion sets in. Christmas day, New Year’s day, and Epiphany are all Holy Days of Obligation. Since many European countries are Catholic by the majority, these days are bank holidays which means nothing hinders the faithful from attending mass on these days. Here in the USA though, the country does not observe all of these Holy Days and so the nation works on January 6th. Because of this, the Bishops here felt that these three days so close to each other were too streneous on the faithful in this country to attend mass and so Epiphany in this country is observed on the 2nd Sunday after Christmas, which this year is January 8th, as a result of this, The Feast of the Baptism of the Lord has been bumped to Monday January 9th in this country.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.