What is love?

There are many ideas people have about love. Generally, most people agree that it is to care about others. It is, therefore, not about self, but others.
Love, therefore, is selfless and unconditional; does not have self-interest; and does not seek self-gratification. Since it is unconditional there is no limit to what it can give. It forgives without any limit. It gives even when there is betrayal or hurt. It makes no distinction between friends or foe and it will never stop loving. Furthermore, it seeks no reward for acts of love; rather, considers the opportunity to love others itself a gift. To love is not a feeling. It is a decision we make in response to an inner calling (which is the voice of God) when we see people in need.

“Baby don’t hurt me…Don’t hurt me…No more”

I think that love is self giving :slight_smile:
it is a choice to care about another person’s good even if it costs you something, even if it’s difficult. Sometimes love hurts, but that’s how it should be.

i don’t entirely agree… you cannot extend love to an enemy… he will just turn around and stomp on it, for one hting… and the Word says not to be unequally yoked w/ unbleivers…

don’t let them into your life… You will be sorry every time…

pray for them and don’t even do that if it will harm you in a terrible way…

for example… one time long ago when i wasn’t catechized… i prayed for a someone i had once had a relationship with… I hated the &*& but after praying, i started having feelings of affection for the guy… so strange… need less to say, things didn’t go very well for me after that…

I’m glad i’m Catholic now and not susesptible to such nonsense…

i don’t agree w/ the Islamic proverb…

scholars write all kinds of heresy… all the time…

such as that proverb…

love comes after knowing someone… and most people don’t w ant others to know them too well…

you can’t know someone if you don’t know him well…

you can have affection for the person… and/or esteem… but not real love…

real love is Jesus anyhow… :slight_smile:

Love (I guess) was an emotion that God gave us so that we could care for each other while down here on earth away from him…

My understanding of love is what you have stated. I would just add that it is not for just people in need, but it is for everyone. When we have a love for God that is so great we have love for everything He created, regardless of how we do or do not egree with people we are called to show them the same kind of love as God shows us.
Unconditional love.

"What is love?"

God is love! The Catechism of the Catholic Church has so much to teach us about God… Who is Love, from all eternity… and Love Incarnate; but this one line… states it beautifully:

(293) "… for God has no other reason for creating than His Love and Goodness: “Creatures came into existence when the key of Love opened His Hand.”

May He bless you. :slight_smile:

That is beautiful!

Yes God is Love: I believe They are synonymous and I believe the more reasons you can find to love God the more He lets you understand the deep complexities of His Divine Love for everything He created. Everything I do is for You God, I know I am not perfect, please help me to become perfect in Your Image not mine.

May He bless you too:)

Distracted said these things in a couple of posts:

I don’t entirely agree… you cannot extend love to an enemy… he will just turn around and stomp on it, for one hting… and the Word says not to be unequally yoked w/ unblievers…

I’m glad I’m Catholic now and not susesptible to such nonsense…

love comes after knowing someone… and most people don’t want others to know them too well…

you can’t know someone if you don’t know him well…

you can have affection for the person… and/or esteem… but not real love…

real love is Jesus anyhow…

I am sorry that you obviously have been hurt in the process of loving. But I am taken aback by your statement that because you are now Catholic, you are not “susceptible to such nonsense.” Being Catholic should make you more susceptible, not less.

You say that “real love is Jesus” but before that say you can’t have real love for others, especially if you do not know them well. But isn’t “real love for Jesus” expressed in our love for others, whether we do know them well or not?

Here is my response to *Simple Soul’s *question: “What is Love?”

God is Love, and since He is infinite His love for all of us is infinite. There is no limit to love. Just because I have deep love for one person does not mean I must therefore have less love for another. If I have one child or ten, I can and will love them all. So rather than dividing up the love I can share, by loving others we actually can increase the love that is in us and in the world. Love can grow and expand to include more and more people.

One of the most beautiful biblical passages is this one from 1 Corinthians 13:

If I speak in human and angelic tongues but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal.

And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing.

If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, it is not pompous, it is not inflated,

it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury,

it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth.

It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails.

i don’t recall the exact context but it seems you are taking my words out of such context… I vaguely remember wht i said but… you make it sound foolish by taking it out of context… in any case, can’t answer if don’t know the entire Post…

i did read that one post of mine over again & you are right, it doesn’t sound too good and i didn’t mean it to sound that way… You can’t extend love to an enemy if by saying that you mean being intimately involved somehow…friendship or whatever. The best way to love our enemies is to pray for them… and keep a huge distance… I am not obligated by Christ to enable someone to hurt me…

You say that “real love is Jesus” but before that say you can’t have real love for others, especially if you do not know them well. But isn’t “real love for Jesus” expressed in our love for others, whether we do know them well or not?

if i recall i was speaking of “eros love” not agape love. I love everyone w/ the love of Christ but i don’t like everyong. Truth be told, i don’t lilke anyone… except Ronald Reagan :smiley: and maybe one other person i know… But fortunately Jesus didn’t say we had to force ourselves to LIKE anyone… just love them… which i do… and i can prove it: I haven’t killed anyone yet… :smiley:

The “nonsense” i was referring to had to do with romantic love… but that is a contradiction in terms… Romantic - esp these days - automatically seems to exclude love (real love)… In fact, may be the opposite of love…

i don’t agree… I’m not going to let someone abuse me just because I “Love” that person… Romantic love should be a two way street… (and etc, etc)… In other words (other than etc etc) there is so much complexity to romantic love that if you don’t do things just so-so … you might as well forget it… (ex: you should be the same religion, etc.)

allowing abuse isn’t good for either one of us… & may keep people from doing other more productive things… like work for the evangelization of others…

i know that putting up w/ abuse is not necessarily what you meant… but i feel its important to say that… well, often people stay with abusive people not realizing that they are, again, not doing either one of them any good…

Also:

The proverb i was referring to, that i don’t agree with is:

“The ink of the scholar is holier than the blood of the martyr”

i don’t think the RC Church would agree…

I did not intend to make you look foolish; rather I was and am concerned for you. I was quoting those particular statements because they sounded negative and somewhat depressing. And you are right that I did not differentiate between the types of love. To love someone doesn’t mean that you should let them hurt you; I am very much in agreement with you on that.

Good luck to you in finding real and true love. But don’t try to hard; it can often just come up and tap you on the shoulder.

LOOOOOLLL! When I saw the subject… that song started playing in my head!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.