What is Mary's proper role in our faith?

Can you help me understand why, in St. Luke’s gospel account, where it says that a woman in the crowd said to Jesus, “Blessed is the womb that bore thee, and the breasts that nursed thee,” why does Jesus respond by saying, :“Rather, blessed are they who hear the word of God and keep it.” ? Wouldn’t that have been a perfect time for Jesus to proclaim that Mary should have special devotion from his followers?

I’m new to the forum!

Thanks for your help with this.

Josette

These links should be helpful for presenting our Marian devotion and the Rosary in proper perspective. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*]Praying to the Saints
*]Saint Worship?
*]Is a devotion to Mary required of Catholics?
*]Does John Paul II’s motto “Totus Tuus” imply Marian worship?
*]The Rosary
*]CRI’s Attack on Mary: Part I (This Rock: August 1992)
*]CRI’s Attack on Mary: Part II (This Rock: September 1992) CRI’s Attack on Mary: Part III (This Rock: October 1992)
*]CRI’s Attack on Mary: Part IV (This Rock: November 1992) CRI’s Attack on Mary: Part V (This Rock: December 1992) CRI’s Attack on Mary: Part VI (This Rock: January 1993)
*]CRI’s Attack on Mary: Part VII (This Rock: February 1993)
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.