What is meant by the term "Paradise"?

I have repeatedly heard the term “Paradise” but I’m not in full understanding of its meaning. Is it a distinguished place from Heaven and Purgatory? Or is it just another term for Heaven itself? It is mentioned in the bible “Luke 23:43 – “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom” and Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you today you will be with me in paradise.”

In the Syro Malabar Church “Para-disi or Para-disa” is mentioned a few times in the Office for the Death, within the funeral hymns and texts. Do the other Eastern Churches believe in this area of Paradise as well?

As I understand it, “paradise” refers to a state without any sin. Therefore, heaven is frequently refered to as paradise. The Garden of Eden, prior to the fall, is also refered to as paradise.

That would make sense. Also the Bosom of Abraham!

(Paradise in Old Testament times similar to Heaven but without the Beatific Vision)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.