What is my status?

I’ve been meaning to ask my pastor this question, or write to my Bishop. I’ll post it here first.

I was baptized as a baby in the Roman Catholic Church. I was not raised in the Church and never received First Communion as a child nor Confirmation.

As a teenager I “accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior” and began attending Pentecostal Churches. When I was about 15 I was baptized by a Pentecostal minister using the Trinitarian formula.

Much later I joined the Antiochean Orthodox Church and was baptized and Chrismated (Confirmed). The Orthodox priest who baptized me said I didn’t need to be baptized again, since I had been already, unless I wanted to. So I was.

About five years later I returned to the Roman Catholic Church and my pastor only required that I say my confession to him before receiving communion in the Church again.

So, what is my status? Do I need to be Confirmed in the Roman Catholic Church?

Thank you.

Dear I,

Your priest was correct. You are a Catholic. The Catholic Church recognizes the sacraments of the Orthodox Churches. So you don’t need to be Confirmed. Welcome back!

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.